Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ON DIRECTING

From: kateknight@aol.com (KateKnight)
Date: 15 Sep 1995 20:30:39 -0400
Subject: ON DIRECTING
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: root@newsbf02.news.aol.com

Hounds:

                            I may or may not be the only poster here who
has actually written and directed films. As far as I'm concerned, you find
out what you do best and you stick with it. The Lady is THE BEST pop music
artist in the world. Her beauty (all forms) and talent is unsurpassed as
far as that goes. However, that doesn't mean she can or should do
everything!
     Film directing is about VISUALITY. But, it's also about STORYTELLING.
Art is about COMMUNCIATION. Now, Kate communicates to all of us on a very
personal, very deep (read:soulful) level. She moves me like no woman I
have known, and I have no real idea what she's like personally! That's an
incredible, powerful gift.
     One does not set out in a film to please an audience, per se, however
the audience must always be kept in mind (this is NOT a contradiction). I
totally disagree with advance screenings, but even the more artistic of
our directors currently use them. What messes up a good movie is STUDIO
INTERVENTION.
     What I'm getting at here is that The Lady is near perfect at what she
does, and what she does is compose music/lyrics and sing. Plenty! I'm
happy! The next time she wants to commit to film an idea with songs
(notice I'm not saying the song comes FIRST), she should delegate to a
talented director. Look at her best "video," CLOUDBUSTING. In fact, look
at ALL her best videos. They were directed by other people, whom I hope
she trusted with her more than considerable talents.
     Directing means delegation, for the most part. But that doesn't mean
you give up your vision. TLTCTC was nothing more than strung-together
music videos and some interesting visuals. Next time, take a look at
Michael Jackson's SCREAM. This is a PERFECT music video. That's because a
talented, experienced feature-film director made it, and the song was
written by a pop genius (with his remarkable sister, no less). MJ knows
what he's doing (at least musically).
     Kate, I love you dearly! And I have a PERFECT part for you in a film!
  :-)
     Maybe we'll work together some day. Until then, I can only dream of a
simple (!) tour of the U.S., in medium-sized venues, with her sitting
before a piano on an otherwise empty stage. We don't need a giant show!
Your talent is enough.
                                                       +
                                                   + KK +
                                                       +