Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: DELIUS question

From: braffet@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Elizabeth Braffet)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 09:25:07 GMT
Subject: Re: DELIUS question
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@news.hawaii.edu

In article <3lhtk0$fn9@spruce.cic.net>, kpd000@colum.edu (Keith DeWeese
x422) wrote:

> Ronny,
>
> I recall reading the lyrics, including those to which you refer, and,
> indeed, the word, syphilis, was among them.  For years, I sang, "Delius
> savant, simplius deus, genius...blah, blah, blah."  Of course, when I
> read the lyrics in question, I heard them immediately.  Knowing that
> Delius was infirm due to syphilis, I was miffed that I hadn't caught on.
> I can't remember the use of AMAT which does seem rather bizarre, unless
> Delius appreciated very unusual states of physical being.

The published words for the chorus can be found in the book "Kate Bush
Complete" (in the music section).  They are like Tom Hendricks says:
Delius, Delius amat, Syphillis Deus Genius.  Like Keith, before I read the
words I always heard savant rather than amat.  Either way, I don't think
the lyrics are meant to be taken as a sentence.  My interpretation is that
they are labels, like his name, that refer to the man that was. He was a
lover, a genius, and suffered from the disease of syphilis that eventually
claimed his life.  His symphony, Song of Summer, is quite famous.  It is
his piano concertos that I, personally, find most captivating.

Aloha all,

--
Elizabeth Braffet