Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Just the FAQs

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 95 23:34:04 +0100
Subject: Re: Just the FAQs
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Van wrote:
> As far as the whole Gaffa argument is concerned, hey, read the FAQ - it's
> most *definitely* a reference to gaffer's tape....   :-)

;-)

This only is in there to have the current discussion once a year, not once
a month...

> P.S.  I agree with the complaining poster regarding the sheer length of the
> Tori post.  The bootleg discography details should've been made
> available-by-request because of their length, and not posted, IMHO.

Well, somehow they are. Basically it's a problem with the difference between
newsgroups and mailing lists. If you look carefully, you might notice that
the Tori bootleg discography is a) originated in the Tori-boots mailing list,
and b) is cross-posted to rec.music.info and rec.music.gaffa. Now this might
give a hint as to that the poster isn't aware of rec.music.gaffa's alter ego,
that is the mailing list love-hounds. Methinks that were the order of the
newsgroups reversed, the moderator of rec.music.info (also moderated, as is
gaffa) would have gotten the posting, would have approved it, and would have
posted it. This way it wouldn't have appeared on love-hounds. Maybe I'm wrong
and the order of the newsgroups in some newsgroup active file has to be changed
to achieve this.

Why am I talking about this? Well, I think that anyone who receives a significant
part of usenet nowadays is capable and able and willing to receive multimegabytes
of stuff daily. Reading an article in a newsgroup - or skipping it - should
be a quick thing for anyone, regardless of the article size (esp. if you're
skipping it). So long articles (and the discography is not as long (in bytes)
as my FAQ) are no problems for most newsgroup readers. On a mailing list it's
different. People have slow connections, pay for their mail, pay for their
online time they have to spend wading through the daily love-hounds digest
or whatever. That is, on a mailing list, long articles DO matter. This is why
I don't post the FAQ to love-hounds. This is why I won't post the Kate disco-
graphy on love-hounds either.

Now what to do?

- calm down
- tell the guy to either
  a) leave r.m.gaffa out of the newsgroups list he posts the discography
  b) post it in a way that it doesn't appear on love-hounds but only on r.m.gaffa

As for b): if you have problems doing this, ask me. You shouldn't do this
for normal postings (for the love-hounders would be offended to be left out
of the discussion), but for special things like oversized FAQs, oversized
discographies etc. And please don't forget a short pointer to the full thing
for all of the love-hounds/r.m.gaffa community.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2]