Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Just the FAQs

From: "Smith, Van Edward - GS13" <smithv@407po1.usafe.af.mil>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 95 13:40:00 PST
Subject: Just the FAQs
To: "'RMG'" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 57 TEXT

Hello Love Hounds,

Stuart M. Castergine castigates:

>This group is for the discussion of Tori Amos, Sara MacLachlan, Bjork,
>Jane Siberry, Happy Rhodes, Nanci Griffith, Annie Lennox, you name it --
>any other female artist who has ever made you go "Wow!"
>
>The primary focus of this group is and always will be Ms. Bush and her
>work, but discussions, arguments, digressions and long, involved threads
>about other artists are part of what this group is about.
>
>So cut out the whining about "Non-Kate content" until you have RTFFAQ!
>
>scasterg@cd.columbus.oh.us == Stuart M. Castergine   |              ---

FAQ excerpt:

    On August 16, 1985 |>oug /\lan thought it was time to create a
     discussion round about Kate Bush and her absolute artistic genius.  At
     first it was 'only' a mailing list, but it soon resulted in a usenet
     newsgroup.  The name "Gaffa" comes from "Suspended in Gaffa", a song on
     the album "The Dreaming", and refers to gaffer's tape (that's what Kate
     says).  Gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape, but not as sticky) is used
     to stop people from stumbling over cabling.

     The name 'r.m.gaffa' was preferred over 'r.m.katebush' to indicate that
     discussion is not limited to Kate.  Sometimes this gets too much, but
     what to do in a four years gap between albums?  Other artists discussed
     here include various female alternative artists as well as Kate related
     people like Peter Gabriel or Roy Harper.

So, if you feel like discussing a  non-female Kate related person,
especially
Peter or Roy, please go right on ahead.  Shoot, just mention 'Another Day'
and
you're simultaneously referring to all three!   (ummm, actually there should
probably
be one restriction:  never mention the Artist-formally-known-as-Prince, just
keep the class level up on this mailing list/newsgroup...     ;-)  )

As far as the whole Gaffa argument is concerned, hey, read the FAQ - it's
most *definitely* a reference to gaffer's tape....   :-)

Van

P.S.  I agree with the complaining poster regarding the sheer length of the
Tori post.  The
bootleg discography details should've been made available-by-request because
of their
length, and not posted, IMHO.