Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pornography

From: jclark@nexus.polaris.net (Joseph S. Clark)
Date: 5 Mar 1995 18:50:37 -0500
Subject: Re: Pornography
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
content-length: 1511
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

The Silver-Flag Boy (u3a97@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk) was reputed to have uttered:
:>Lou Fox (fox@panix.com) wrote:
:>: opinion, Kate Bush is a feminist and her work is feminist work, whether
:>: or not you think so or she thinks so. Feminism is not a dirty word and
:>			 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:>Up to her to decide isn't it?

P'raps and then p'raps not.  Could be "feminism's" a rubric that can be
both applied by others and claimed by onesself, so that, in a Venn
diagram, the two circles "those who call themselves feminists" and "those
who exhibit feminist behaviors" would overlap but not coincide.  Not
coincide.

_However_ one defines "feminism," it's just like "racism,"
"intellectualism," "elitism," "Darwinism,"  or any other "ism."  You can
claim you is or isn't an -ist, but that ain't what throws the final
weight in this socially-constructed mob-dream.  Humans live by the Duck
Rule: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, etc.

So what becomes more interesting to me is how people come to define
ducks.  Then I'll tell ya if Kate's back sheds water.  And arguments re
her duckness or anyotherness would seem perfectly natural topics of
conversation among her admirers.

One of which I remain,

--
Not just any old Joe Clark----------------------jclark@nexus.polaris.net
|  Tallahassee, Florida                    There may be life on Uranus.|