Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Great Kate Picture Hunt

From: jeffy@wam.umd.edu (Jeffrey Craig Burka)
Date: 6 Dec 1994 21:47:16 GMT
Subject: Re: The Great Kate Picture Hunt
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <941206120739_7104263@aol.com>,  <JAbusheery@aol.com> wrote:
>A couple of years ago I was working a retail job with odd hours so I was home
>in the morning.  One morning I was channel surfing and I thought I saw
>something familar, it was a poster on the wall of the teenage son's room on a
>old sitcom called Day-by-Day, it was a Kate poster, the picture which is just
>a head shot her hair is up and covered in ivy

Ooh!  Ooh!  That photo was printed as a poster?  It's my absolute favorite
KaTe photograph (with the possible exception of the TNW cover).  Anybody
know if that might still be available somewhere?

>wonder what song that idea came from :-)

You might think, but you'd be wrong, believe it or not!  The photo of KaTe
with the ivy is on the cover of Fred Vermorel's _The Secret History of Kate
Bush (and the strange art of pop)_, which came out in '83.  "Under the Ivy"
was an HoL-era B-side (I have it on the RUTH 12", along with the extended
mix of RUTH which appears on TWW and the instrumental of RUTH which I
absolutely adore).  I don't have the vinyl handy, but I imagine it came out
in '85.

Of course, that doesn't mean KaTe hadn't already written the song...

Credit for the photo is given to Clive Arrowsmith.

Jeff