Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KTV

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 94 13:41 CST
Subject: Re: KTV
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net

Steve-o writes:

>While waiting for pizza, we sat around chatting about various Kate-related
>(and non-Kate related) things, and everyone was making fun of Chris'n'Vickie
>(but I wasn't supposed to tell you, so you didn't hear that from me, OK?)

    No comment.

>We then watched IED's copies of 8 of the Fruitopia ads.  If you took out
>the goddamn type, they would actually be quite beautiful.  However, on most
>of them, if I didn't know, I would never have guessed it was Kate doing the
>music.  Karen then showed 5 of the ads (two which IED didn't have, including
>the one they did for movie theatres, which, not surprisingly was the best
>one).

   Um...without the words, the ads would have never been done and we
wouldn't have this music. So, as you might say, chill.

>Then, our feature presentation - TLTC&TC.  This is my third time seeing it,
>and I caught many things I didn't see the first two times - including an
>actual, coherent plot.  (I think IED will post later, and will probably do
>a better job at it than I could).

   Kate "Fun things to spot." The 8mm video camera. The whale fluke.

>Finally, we ended the night watching "Curse of the Demon" (AKA "Night of
>the Demon"), the film where Kate got the sample "It's in the trees!  It's

   AAKA _Casting The Runes_.

>coming!" as well as several visual images for the Hounds of Love video,
>as well as a couple she used for TLTC&TC.  Also, there was a scene in there
>which was Stanley Kubrick "borrowed" for "The Shining" (which, in turn,
>Kate used as partial inspiration for "Get Out of My House").  Also, I finally
>now understand the line in the opening song of The Rocky Horror Picture Show,
>"Dana Andrews as runes gave him the prunes/and passing them used lots of

   "...prunes gave him the runes..." 400+ times at the Rocky Horror. I
was a Riff-Raff and a Brad. My ex-wife was a Columbia.

>skill."  Even the Kate Konnection aside, this is is a great film.  (Then
>how come I never saw it before?)  Stev0 sez:  See it!

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)