Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Mortal Coil?

From: langrlld@mussel.cig.mot.com (Dan Langrill)
Date: 14 Oct 1994 18:50:39 GMT
Subject: Re: This Mortal Coil?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <37li5t$2v6@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,
James Alexander Chokey <jchokey@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>	Does anyone know anything about the band called "This Mortal
>Coil"?  They've been reccomended to me by a couple folks, and I thought
>that I'd solicit a few opinions on what they're like, what album of
>theirs might be a good first choice to buy, etc.
>
>        --  Jim C.

Yeah...They're awesome!

This Mortal Coil started out kind-of as a 4AD "jam session":
Elizabeth Frasier et. al. got together to do some covers and
some other stuff...

By their 3rd album, Blood, they had pulled in Caroline Crowley
(from Shelleyan Orphan) and Martin McCarrick (from Siouxsie and
the Banshees) to do some stuff...Unless I'm wrong (which I hope
I am), Blood was the last album TMC was going to put out.

They have 3 albums out on 4AD, which were released domestically
last year.  They also have a compilation box set with those
3 albums, plus a disk with the original versions of any covers
they did.

Their stuff is very 4AD-ish...Blood is kind of a conceptual
album -- one of those albums like Hounds of Love, where
songs flow into one another and various themes keep popping
up.

It's excellent stuff...Filigree and Shadow (their second)
and Blood (their 3rd) are definitely the best...For those
two albums alone, I put them in at least my "Top Five"
for favorite groups.

The only thing about their stuff -- their albums are LONG.
It's one of those things where you hear the first 8 or 9
songs all the time, but I usually listen to them when I want
to relax, and I usually fall asleep towards the middle
and hardly ever get to hear the end of the album :)

I would most definitely recommed that you get at least one
of their albums!

Dan

--

Dan Langrill