Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Average gaffan...

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 2:57:44 EDT
Subject: Re: Average gaffan...
To: totoro@charm.net (Milky Way)
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Hiro & Lesley write:

(Great list!)

> 1. Akiko Yano

I have IED to thank for sending me the song "Rose Garden" on a tape.
It's one of the most wonderful songs in the universe!  I desperately
want this song on CD.

Yup! > 2. Sarah Mclachlan
Yup! > 3. Jane Siberry

> 4. Emmylou Harris

Someone who's on my mile-long list.

Yup! > 5. kd Lang

> 6. Aster Aweke (Ethiopia)

Yup!  Do you know what she's up to?  Is she still singing in that
Ethiopian restaurant in DC?

> 7. Marta Sebestyen (Hungary...who cares what she's singing! That voice!)

Yup!  I still have wonderful memories of seeing her in concert in a teeny
tiny bar in Chicago, with an "L" train running right outside and Marta
looking at her watch with a "yep, the train is on time" expression on her
face :).  I have 5 CDs with her on them, but I haven't heard a word since
"Apocryha" was released.  Do you know if she's done anything since then
and what she's up to now?

> 8. Isabelle Antena (Where is she from? Sings in English & French. A darker
> richer brew than Basia's Euro cafe music.)

I always thought she was French, but I don't really know anthing about
her, other than that she has a *ton* of albums out.  Does anyone have a
discography?

> 9. Lisa Ono (Brazil)(Japanese-Brazilian Bossanova Vocalist - A much better
> singer than Astrud Gilberto, though that may not be hard)

I'm not familiar with Lisa, but I know of Astrud.

Yup! > 10. Sinead O'Connor

> 11. Najma (Sings in Urdu...from Pakistan? One whole album has her singing
> lyrics derived from the works of great Pakistani poets.)

I don't know anything about her background, off the top of my head.  I
have 3 CDs by her, but nothing more recent than the almost completely
awful "Atish" which came out in 1990.  I hear she sings a song on the
new Jah Wobble album, but I haven't heard it yet.  Other than that I
don't know what she's been up to for the last 4 years.  My favorite
(every-track-is-great) album is "Qareeb" on Schanachie.

> 12. Jessye Norman

She has my highest respect, but Opera is my last I-can't-stand-it-so-I-
should-probably-listen-to-it-more-but-not-right-now genre.

> Bands:
> 1. Cocteau Twins

Yup!!  IED again was responsible for my first CT listen.  _Treasure_ had
just been released and he played me the first song ("Ivo") and I said
that I didn't need to hear anymore, that I wanted every single song
they'd ever recorded up to that point.

> 2. The Cranes (Does anyone have any info on them? A brother & sister
> mystery act...The second album is brilliant.)

Both albums are, but yeah, I like the second one best too.  I don't know
much about them.  I saw the band in concert last year (it was great!) and
I waited outside for the longest time to meet Alison, but she had left
immediately after the concert.  A bunch of us stood around talking to the
rest of the band, and no one bothered to tell us that she had left.  On
the one hand, it was true that most people were waiting to meet her and
probably would have left if told, but on the other, the band *knew* we
were waiting and they knew she was gone, and I think they should have
said something.

> World Music:
Yup! > 1. Varttina (Finland)(Celtic)

> 2. Rankin Family (Canada)(Celtic)

Not familiar with them.

> 3. The Bulgarian State Radio and Television Female Vocal Choir

Yup!  And any other Bulgarian who sings :)

> 4. Mahlathini & Mahotella Queens (South African)

Lose Mahlathini and I love the Queens just fine.  He gets in my way :)
I want to hear *them*!

> 5. Rossi (Madagascar...of interest to Gaffans for the instrumentation for
> Eat the Music among others, Paddy probably has lots of their stuff.)

Not familiar, other than Kate's stuff.

Are you familiar with Sheila Chandra, Sonia Diabate, Bel Canto, West
India Company, Mari Boine, Dead Can Dance, Loreena McKennitt, Anne
Pigalle, Suns of Arqa, Voix De L'est and Zap Mama?  There are lots
more, but those are off the top of my head of things you might like
too, though I would imagine you've probably heard all of them.

Vickie