Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Average gaffan...

From: khawkins@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hawkins)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 20:32:24
Subject: Re: Average gaffan...
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

In article <55571@mindlink.bc.ca> Dave_Thomas@mindlink.bc.ca (Dave Thomas) writes:

>Here's a new thread:  What's your musical taste?

>Mine tends mainly toward folk, with a strong influence on celtic music (I
>happen to be one of those "weirdos" who likes bagpipes).  Some classical,
>although I don't know enough about it to tell you what I like.  I'm totally
>out of touch with popular music (grunge, alternative, whatever's trendy
>now.)  Looking at my CDs we've got mainly folk, some country/bluegrass, and
>a big whack of Kate Bush CDs.

>--
>                                                    TTFN,
>                                                       Dave
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
>/
>Dave_Thomas@mindlink.bc.ca
>\X/

I have a very hard time defining my musical taste, because it jumps around
through different periods of my life.  Like, at this point in my life, I'm
into good female vocalists/lyricists, as well as jazz (Something about Miles
Davis and Mingus reaches right inside of me, much the way Kate, Sarah, or Tori
can do), and hip hop...there's some real hip hop genius out there, and when
you mix that with the right jazz backdrops, wow.  I also go for the swinging
jazz/showtune vocal stuff, like Sinatra and Tony Bennett.

Who knows when this will cahnge though?  I mean, I never lose my appreciation
for my past music loves...I just move on to other things that I listen to more
often than others.

So now I'm moving into Kate, which, this may sound weird, but it feels like a
different musical experience than listening to my other female favs.  Well,
that probably doesn't sound weird to you guys...you probably understand what
I'm talk about more than anyone. =)  Listening to Kate is a different musical
experience for me than listening to Sarah or Tori.  I'm still new at this
though, so my opinion is bound to change with subsequent albums.

So, if I can find it without too much trouble, you guys would recommend TWW if
I don't have much (which I don't)?  No offense, but the cover art/KT symbols
don't interest me all that much...=)  I mean, not enough to make a difference.

=) Kevin Hawkins -- Junior in Computer Science, University of Illinois
(= NCSA Operations | e-mail to: khawkins@ncsa.uiuc.edu
=) Hey, you wanna check out my Tori Amos page, don't ya?! =)
(= <a href="http://gto.ncsa.uiuc.edu/khawkins/tori.html">Tori Amos</a>