Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pooka?

From: wolff@lhasa.berkeley.edu (Hew Wolff)
Date: 24 Aug 1994 20:28:16 GMT
Subject: Re: Pooka?
To: rec-music-gaffa@agate.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1994Aug22.232510.2699@k12.ucs.umass.edu>,
Albert Steg (Winsor <asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu> wrote:

>I saw Pooka open for Kristin Hersh last Spring here in Boston (Somerville,
>actually). I can't say I felt Kate Bush's presence anywhere near the place.
>They were kind of endearing, but maybe pushed the "gee, we're out of tune
>again" topos a bit much.  Some of the tunes were pretty enough.  Some were

    I saw them open for Kristin Hersh in San Francisco, and "kind of
endearing" pretty much says it for me too. Cute and all (as Ms. Hersh
pointed out), but not worth following up on, was my impression. Great
name, though.

    I remember one song where they sang "I need lubrication" more than
once with completely innocent straight faces. I couldn't tell whether
they were being very ingenuous or quite disingenuous.

    Has anyone heard of a group called Seven Day Diary? Probably more
along the lines of Indigo Girls. I read one review which was enough to
tempt me, but I haven't found anything in stores...

                                      -- Hew