Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Adventures in Fruitopia

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 12:37:23 PDT
Subject: Adventures in Fruitopia
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

willslvr@xnet.com (Will E. Silver) sez:

(Post by me defending the teevee commericals deleted)

>I have to say that, despite having music by Kate, I do not like the Frutopia
>ad campaign.

>I mean, here they are litterally spending millions of dollars to
>get us to drink (basically) fructose with coolaide in it. Millions of dollars
>on what... it isn't perticularly good for you, it does nothing for the <mind>
>planet, I am ofended. REALLY offended. This is, after all Minute Maid, which
>is part of the Coca-Cola company. For all the pro-planet rhetoric it is just
>colored water and apple juice (I think that it does have other flavors in it).

>So, I'll listen to the music, but I really REALLY hate the ads.

I better clear up what I said.  I agree with what will said 100% up to the
last line.  The ad CAMPAIGN is a disgrace.  I can see the memo the suits
wrote for it:

-----------
Larry -

Our focus group with the parameters of the demographics of the male
and female genders ages 15 - 30 years old have downloaded the following
data that we should run with to spruce up the bottom line:

Our target market group is interested in "ecology", so we should include
a graphical representation of a globe in the currently fashionable
"graffitti" style on the packaging.  Also, include the phrase "save the
planet" somewhere on the packaging, but try to tone it down to not make
it so politically controversial.

[etc. etc. etc.]

- Darren

However, the teevee ad ITSELF, even though it *IS* stupid at best and
offensive at worst, is MUCH LESS stupid and offensive than any other ad
currently running.  Think of the ads for Zima, any long distance carrier
(especially those collect services), Mentos, etc. etc.  It makes the
phrase "Kill your Television" make a LOT of sense.

The radio ads, however, just make me want to vomit.

- 1-800-STEV0

"Just try THAT on Television!" - Stan Freeberg