Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pooka?

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 23:25:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Pooka?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, gmoore@u.washington.edu (Gary Moore) says:

>Anyway, the fourth paragraph says: "Ralph McTell played two sets, as did
>Pooka, a talented two-girl band whose feverish songs are touched with a
>Kate Bush-like presence. Imbued with the spirit of their age, Pooka sang
>about safe sex, whooped a lot and insisted that they came from Mars."
>
>Is Pooka any good?  The last sentence makes me apprehensive.

I saw Pooka open for Kristin Hersh last Spring here in Boston (Somerville,
actually). I can't say I felt Kate Bush's presence anywhere near the place.
They were kind of endearing, but maybe pushed the "gee, we're out of tune
again" topos a bit much.  Some of the tunes were pretty enough.  Some were
very silly:  "Fruit fly, fruit fly,,,froo froo fly....fly fly fly.."  They
kept saying "We're from Manchester" (I think) --we laughed the first few
times...

These are just the impressions I came away with most strongly --they didn't
exactly win me over on first hearing (unlike Sam Phillips opening for Elvis
Costello. zow!)

Kristin Hersh was terrific!

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt