Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pooka?

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 21:55 CDT
Subject: Re: Pooka?
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.89.9408221342.G27715-0100000@bank7.u.washington.edu> you write:
>Did someone mention Pooka a while back?  I was just doing a body text
>search on the London Times articles in the americast.ltimes.feature
>newsgroup for "Kate Bush" and found an article from the 2 Aug 1994
>edition by Louise Grey, entitled, "Of Penny Whistles and Wonderment".
>The article is about the 30th Cambridge Folk Festival.
>
>Anyway, the fourth paragraph says: "Ralph McTell played two sets, as did
>Pooka, a talented two-girl band whose feverish songs are touched with a
>Kate Bush-like presence. Imbued with the spirit of their age, Pooka sang
>about safe sex, whooped a lot and insisted that they came from Mars."
>
>Is Pooka any good?  The last sentence makes me apprehensive.

   Bizzare beliefs are not a hinderance to musical talent. No one knows
for sure is Yma Sumac is from Peru (as she has insisted for years) or
from New Jersey as others insist. Nina Hagan truly believes that Jesus
is in a giant spaceship behind the Moon. From what I hear, Sun Ra
believed that he was actually from Saturn.

   With a name like "Pooka" they must have a sense of fun. You do
remember the film and play _Harvey_, don't you?

   Speaking of Pookas (or is it Pooki?) I saw a wonderful t-shirt, a
parody of _Nighthawks At The Diner_. In this version, all the patrons
were giant pink bunnys. Under the image was a single word "Hopper."

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)