Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 22:09 CDT
Subject: Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>The latest _Goldmine_ arrived Friday.  Having perused the weekend's digests,
>I haven't seen mention of it, so here's the Kate content. You knew there'd
>be Kate content, didn't you?  Lots of help from Tom Richards regarding the
>promo end of things. And did you know that there's a fanzine out of Bexley-
>heath, Kent?
>
>Larry (larry@hal.com) biting that lip======
>
>Excerpt from "Girl and Her Piano Thing" by Gillian G. Gaar, in _Goldmine_
>9-2-94 reproduced without permission (hey, I've only subscribed for years!
>that should account for about $450.00)

    I just wanted to mention that Ms. Garr is a very long-time Kate fan.
She produced a wonderful Kate fanzine called _For The Love Of Kate_. It
didn't have any actual Kate news to report, so they just made stuff up!
Like various movies, say Macbeth with Kate as Lady Macbeth (her
wonderful solo song "Out Damn Spot") Peter Gabriel as Macbeth and Sting
as Duncan. Or Brighton Beach Bingo with Kate in the Annette Funnecello
role. It was a lot of fun.

    BTW, no offence to Tom or to Richard & Missy, but the British
fanzine is the best looking one out there. They were at the Konvention
and we picked up several issues. Amazing.

>..concerning the alleged blatant rip-off of Kate's cover idea:

>The album itself featured a cover photo of
>Amos in a wooden box.  The picture, along
>with her high-pitched voice, drew initial
>comparisons to Kate Bush, whose early albums
>captured a similarly pitched voice; the U.S.
>cover of Bush's first album, _The Kick Inside_,
>also pictured her inside a wooden box.
>But Amos said the idea was inspired by "Alice
>in Wonderland," and critics who looked beyond
>the shallow comparison would learn that Amos
>was quite a different type of performer and
>musician, as different as the stereotypes of
>the cool, mannered, reserved British character
>as contrasted with the warmer, playful, more
>open American character.

    *Tori* didn't copy Kate, Cindy Palmano did. Sorry, but it is far to
close in concept, and there are several other references to Kate videos
in the early Tori videos. It really doesn't matter, but I just wish that
people would be honest.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)