Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story

From: at895@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kevin F. Holy)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 1994 08:36:26 -0400
Subject: Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago wrote:
>    *Tori* didn't copy Kate, Cindy Palmano did. Sorry, but it is far to
>close in concept, and there are several other references to Kate videos
>in the early Tori videos. It really doesn't matter, but I just wish that
>people would be honest.

Nobody copied anyone. I posted this to this place before, I guess I'll have
to do this again in 6 months. This is a portion from the RDT Fanzine
interview with Cindy Palmano:
----
RDT: ...I'm sure you've been asked this before, but comparisons have been
made between the US cover for Kate Bush's _The Kick Inside_ and the cover
photo of Tori for _Little Earthquakes_. Both artists are pictured in a
wooden crate.

CP: I don't know what you're talking about, actually.

RDT: I feel silly now. Kate Bush's first album pictured her in a wooden
crate...

CP: Did it?! I had no idea.

RDT: When Tori's album came out [and since then] there was talk among Kate
Bush fans that it might be some sort of reference to Kate.

CP: There is no such thing as a new idea. I'll tell you where the crate
came from. What I make as part of a picture always is revelant. It's never
there without having had a thought process behind it and around it or
explored, because that's the way I work. The box wasn't there just because
it was a box. I had the box made specifically because it was a
simplification of the idea of _Alice in Wonderland_. Tori was de-scaled,
hence the tiny piano, too.

Anything that's a good idea, if it works, it doesn't matter if it comes
from a conceptual basis or if it just works. I really rate Kate Bush, I
think she's great. I'm sure that her album cover was good. Maybe I did see
it. Maybe I have seen it and maybe it did come up as a subliminal thing.
But who knows where things come from? I certainly wasn't consciously aware
of it.
----

I guess I'll be saving this for yet another time to post it. I didn't think
I would have to save it in my mailbox the last time I posted it.

-Kevin

--