Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 1994 01:24:13 GMT
Subject: Re: KontenT of _Goldmine_ "notorious amos" cover story
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, at895@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kevin F. Holy) says:

>Chris Williams of
>   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago wrote:
>>    *Tori* didn't copy Kate, Cindy Palmano did. Sorry, but it is far to
>>close in concept, and there are several other references to Kate videos
>>in the early Tori videos. It really doesn't matter, but I just wish that
>>people would be honest.
>
>Nobody copied anyone. I posted this to this place before, I guess I'll have
>to do this again in 6 months. This is a portion from the RDT Fanzine
>interview with Cindy Palmano:

	<<interview deleted>>

I read this the last time it was posted and still don't find it convincing
"proof" that a KB reference wasn't in mind on that album cover.  One thing I
don't understand is why such a reference need be a "bad thing."  There's
abundant enough creativity on the record to show that TA isn't a mere clone
--and personally I hear a lot more of Joni Mitchell in there than Kate Bush
anyway.  Artists make allusions and nods toward admired forbears all the
time, so what's the big deal?

I can think of plenty of reasons for CP to avoid nailing the cover down to
"a Kate Bush thing" --one being that allusion lose much of their
evocativeness when they are fully acknowledged. In this even, it seems that
the allusion was a little clunky because KB fans are so observant and keyed
into subtle details of Kate's work --and becuse, as a group, , they seem
unusually proprietary of her work (I get the feeling that many members of
this list feel a kind of ownership towards KB and her output --plenty of
grist for another thread there).

Do we believe everything we read in an interview? I for one am often aware
of the self-serving aspect of interviews.

Furthermore, isn't the art on the back of _Little Earthquakes_ very similar
in stlye to that on _Never Forever_?  I haven't seen anyone mention that
similarity in these discussions.

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt