Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Free use, free thinking, and free ratings

From: THE OLIVE-LOAF VIGILANTE <METH@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 1994 01:15:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Free use, free thinking, and free ratings
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

Drewcifer, if it's any help to you wrt the legal ramifications of a not-for-
profit dance/theater performance based on TNW:

I wrote to John DiLiberto of Echoes to ask whether or not they were aware that
one of the songs they used in the background of their interview with Kate was
a bootleg demo, and he said yes, but since the recording exists in the public
domain it was perfectly okay for them to broadcast it under the provisions of
"fair use".  Since TNW exists (legally, no less :) in the public domain, I
would imagine your use of it for a performance would also fall under fair use,
so long as nothing is being charged for the performance.

Besides, who the hell is going to know?  :)

I think the visuals on the Fruitopia ads are annoying, but who needs to look
when all you have to do is close your eyes and listen?  I think I've seen 4 of
them so far... don't worry, IED, I'm watching vigilantly! :)

Speaking of watching vigilantly, I find it astounding that there was NO RESPONSE
WHATSOEVER to Karen's report that "The Man I Love" is #27 on the Billboar
d charts.  Which chart is this?  If it's the mainstream singles chart, wouldn't
that make it Kate's biggest charting in the U.S.?  Or did I misread the post?

Steve0, nix the idea to have IG or C-Side sell the shirts for us.  They're
Love-Hounds shirts, therefore Love-Hounds should make and distribute them.
I know enough people around here who have had enough bad experiences with
both IG and C-Side that I really don't think any association with them would
go over too well.  Just my $0.02 (now let's see if IG threatens to sue me
again for saying something like this on the public board... it's happened
before!).

However, speaking of the shirts, I've gotten some interesting reactions, the
most notable of which came in a rest stop on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in
West Bumfuck, PA a couple weekends ago.  A biker came up to me and said,
"Don't tell me she toured and I missed it!"  I reassured him that he hadn't
missed anything, but I don't think he made sense of my explanation of just
where the shirt came from. :)

Re the source of TNW (maybe) explained:  Wow.  Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow,
unbelievable!  <insert Twilight Zone theme here as well>  I personally
find it hard to believe that Kate would have heard such detail about the
incident, since she has made it plain on several occasions that she really
doesn't pay much attention to the news, but I *do* believe it possible
that this could be the biggest case of synchronicity of this millenium.
Kate has a way with the universe, y'know?

Greatly enjoying this group's return to the love-hounds of yore,

Meredith
meth@delphi.com
finger information: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu