Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: "it's a gay thing . . ."

From: "Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 94 12:24:00 EST
Subject: RE: "it's a gay thing . . ."
To: "rec.music.gaffa" <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>
Encoding: 39 TEXT

Date: Saturday, 20 August 1994 12:44AM
Karen wrote:

]I've been told my Kate appreciation is because I'm "nuts", or "insecure"
]or "a closet lesbian" or "don't have enough going on in my life."

 I know this might sound like a bit of crappy pop-psychology, but
 whenever I hear wild accusations like this, I instantly think
 "What's this person trying to hide?"  Does anyone remember the
 brilliant scene in the movie of Quentin Crisp's life, where he's
 being roughed up by some thug - he softly whispers to the thug
 "You'd better get out of here before they [the thug's friends]
 find out you're gay."  If you have a hangup, what better way to
 try to hide it than by lashing out at someone else?  It's easier
 for some people than trying to deal with the real issue.

]The only conclusion I can make is that people cannot get their minds
]around something that doesn't particularly interest them and does not
]occur in their little bit of universe on a regular basis.

 It's a common problem with your "basic model" (as William Kotzwinkle
 likes to refer to them in Doctor Rat), they don't come with all the
 added extras with which some of us are endowed - imagination, an
 enquiring mind, eclectic tastes, etc.  Would they raise a single
 eyebrow hair if you were a sports fan rather than a Kate fan?

]I am fortunate to have understanding friends who will accept damned near
]anything I do, no matter how bloody weird.  Even becoming a KateFan!

 Keep the faith, Karen.  You're with weird friends here.

"Few are qualified to shine in company, but it is in most men's power to be
 agreeable. The reason, therefore, why conversation runs so low at present
 is not the defect of understanding but pride, vanity, ill-nature,
 affectation, singularity, positiveness, or some other vice, the effect of
 bad education."  -  Dean Swift (1667-1745)