Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Fastnet Storm

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 20:22:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fastnet Storm
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Karen L. `San Francisco' Newcombe <kln@crl.com> wrote <Subject: Fastnet
Storm>:

> I vaguely remember someone asking Kate in an interview if the Ninth
> Wave was about some famous sea accident . . . is this in the archives?
> Anyone want to look it up?

HOOboy!  Ok.  I certainly miss Ron Hill, who used to show up the next day
after a request like this with an appallingly long set of excerpts.  Ron
seems to be on extended hiatus these days (be well, Ron!), but he has
left us his Tools:  the Cloudbusting archive.  So, in the spirit of Ron's
famous posts, here is what I found about the background of "The Ninth
Wave" in general.  <Drew:  do you have Cloudbusting?  If not, tell me
whether you can receive an ascii text of about 476K, or get in touch and
we'll work something else out.  Kate's compiled interview comments on the
whole side are *the* basic resource for your project!>

*      *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *      *
FROM:  CLOUD1.TXT   476082   9-09-91   4:25p

THE NINTH WAVE (2nd side of Hounds of Love)

        That takes us to the second side, which itself had two or three
drafts.

      It was very different for me working conceptually across half an
hour's worth of music, rather than five minutes optimum in a song, and it
was very interesting but more demanding.  The whole was changed by
anything you did to one part of the concept.  Once the piece was in
context with what was happening before and after it, it would change its
nature dramatically, and it was important that the whole side kept a
sense of flow and yet kept the interest and kept building and ebbing in
the right places.

     The side is about someone who is in the water alone for the night.
(1985, KBC 18)

        I think, even though a lot of people say that the side is about
someone drowning, it's more about someone who's not drowning.  And how
they're there for the night in the water being visited by their past,
present, and future to keep them awake, to keep them going through until
the morning until there's hope.  [BIG SMILE]  (1985, MTV)

        [DREAMS -] THAT'S WHAT THE WHOLE SECOND SIDE OF HOUNDS OF LOVE
TALKS ABOUT?

     More the struggle brought about by the need to stay awake, when it
would be so easy to fall asleep.  It's the story of someone who is in the
sea, at night, and the experiences through which they pass in order to
emerge a better person by morning.  I'm making a long story short.
(1985, Guitares et Claviers)

        It's about someone who is in the water for the night.   Alone in
the water.  And it's really about their past, present and future coming
to keep them awake to stop them drowning, to stop them going to sleep
until the morning comes.

     IT ISN'T IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS, IS IT, IF YOU LISTEN TO THE ALBUM?

     No, I don't think so.  I don't know if that's relevant or important
though.  I think the most important thing is that people that listen to
it get something out of it, that they enjoy it.

     ALRIGHT.  NOW, YOU SEEM TO HAVE A FASCINATION WITH WATER.  I NOTICED
THAT A COUPLE OF YOUR FAVORITE MOVIES, DON'T LOOK NOW AND CRUEL SEA,
WHICH ARE VERY MUCH ON A WATERY THEME.  SO HAVE YOU A FASCINATION FOR
WATER?

     Yes, yes I do.  I think that everyone does really.  I think that
cruel sea was one film that I particularly mentioned though as being a
very influential force for this side.  So, it would have to do something
with water.  [CHUCKLES]

      AND ALSO, THERE'S THE TENNYSON POEM, ISN'T IT? "THE COMING OF
ARTHUR"?

    I think, um, a lot of people tend to presume that the whole side was
written from that quote and, in fact, that it was completely the other
way around, where, I just needed a title for the whole piece and there
was nothing within any of the songs, any of the titles that was right for
it.  so I just started looking through some books to try and find a title
and found that quote, which seemed to be saying, more or less, what I
wanted to say, so it was used to express the title.   (1985, Conversation
Series 1)

        Last year we went to Ireland to do some recording in Dublin, and
took a couple of weeks out.  It was brilliant, because I was writing
lyrics, and we were right by the sea.  A lot of the time that I was
thinking about putting this album together, I was right there with the
water.

     I love the sea.  It's the energy that's so attractive--the fact
that it's so huge.  And war films, where people would come off the ship
and be stuck in the water with no sense of where they were or of time,
like sensory deprivation.  It's got to be ultimately terrifying.  (1985,
ZigZag)

        It's quite hard to pinpoint the initial inspiration, but I'm sure
that it came from, um, a combination of war movies where people were,
soldiers were, either thrown out of the ship or a plane into the sea.
And that whole strength of imagery of water, of the sea, this enormous
great power with this tiny little human being in it.  And I suppose the
whole parallel to things likes sensory deprivation, where if you're in
the water long enough, you know you start, ah, your mind starts
traveling.  So it gave me a vehicle to travel to different places and yet
keep a theme.

        DID YOU TAKE YOURSELF TO AN ISOLATION TANK OR ANYTHING TO ACHIEVE
THAT PARTICULAR SENSATION?

        [LAUGHS]  No, it's something that I would certainly like to
experience.  But I spent a lot of time writing, particularly the lyrics,
by water.  I was standing by the sea or by lakes.  So a lot of the time
there was water stimulus.    (1985, MuchMusic)

        THE SLEEVE QUOTES A CHUNK OF LORD TENNYSON'S POEM, THE COMING OF
ARTHUR.  WAS THAT THE INITIAL INSPIRATION FOR THE PIECE?

     No, actually it was the other way around.  I wanted a title for the
whole thing.  I was looking through some books and found this quote.  In
his poem he's talking about the secrets of waves working in nine--like a
complete cycle, with everything building up to the ninth wave and
starting again.  I've always liked using quotes for things.  (1985,
ZigZag)

        The Ninth Wave is a quote from a poem by Tennyson.  Some people
have though that the whole side was based on this poem and in fact it's
completely the other way around - where I'd written the whole side,
wanted a title that would sum up the energy of it, and was looking
through books, etc, to try to find a title, as I didn't feel it was
there within the songs themselves.  And I found that and it seemed to be
such a good parallel, the fact that it's such water imagery, and he's
talking about how waves work in cycles of nine, all building up to the
ninth one, and then it starts again.

        THERE'S LOTS OF SCARY WATER IMAGES ON THE NINTH WAVE - A MAN
DROWNING AND TRYING TO GET OUT FROM UNDERNEATH THE ICE, A WITCH BEING
BUNKED, FISHERMAN AT SEA, AND SO ON.  WHERE DID YOU FIRST GET THE IDEA
TO DO THIS THEME ABOUT WATER AND IT'S FRIGHTENING ASPECTS.

        I don't think water is something I think of as threatening,
really.  It's an incredibly beautiful thing and its one of those
imageries that I think forever, both way back into the past and into the
future, will always be used by writers.  Water, the sea is one of those
incredible images, it's so powerful, so almighty, so kind and so cruel.
And I think, what attracted me was all kinds of things.   Obviously the
imagery there but also the idea of a tiny human being, this little thing,
all alone in this great expanse of cruelty, that elemental force, and the
contrast between the two.  Something that I think attracts me as a writer
in music as well, the contrast of textures, putting something with
something else that perhaps isn't meant to go and playing with those
ideas.    (1985, Late November, The  New Music)

    WHERE DID THAT IDEA COME FROM? IT'S NOT SOMETHING ONE WOULD  USUALLY
WRITE A SONG ABOUT, IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN...

     Yes.  I think the imagery for the whole piece--a lot of it I think
came from moving out of London, in that I was surrounded much more by
elements than people and man-made things.  The power of things like the
wind in the trees, I mean.  It sounds corny, but it's very earthy, and I
think it does affect you.  Also some war films that covered people coming
off ships, out of planes, into the sea, in situations where they were
alone and frightened, into a huge thing--the sea is just enormous and
really so unknown, and very taken for granted.  I don't think that many
people consider that cruel side of the sea, and how...ultimate it
is...And also the whole thing of almost...like sensory deprivation,
where you've been in the water a while, you start losing all sense of
where you are, who you are, whether you're upside down or whatever.  And
I just found the whole thing terribly fascinating--[coughs--laughter
from audience] Although a very physical event, very much a mental event
as well in that you are travelling in your head, even though your body
is just floating in water.  (1985, Homeground)

        WHY THEN ALL THE NINTH WAVE AND WATER AND ICE.

        I think it was an idea I probably got a few years ago of someone
being in the water for the night, and hadn't really tried it until this
album.  It's hard to say where it came from.  I can only pinpoint certain
war films as imagery that would suggest it, things like  The  Cruel Sea ,
those kind of old war films, where the people were being cast into the
water, having really been through kind of a heavy experience already.
And the thing of actually launching from that, so that's the basis of the
body in the water, but then the head travels off as the night goes on.

     ALRIGHT, YOU MENTIONED DROWNING.  HAVE YOU A PHOBIA OF DROWNING AND
DEATH?  I MEAN, DOES IT WORRY YOU IN PARTICULAR, OR IS IT SOMETHING YOU
JUST TAKE IN STRIDE?

     I don't think I have a phobia of water at all.  I think it is
something we should all be certainly scared of, be respectful of it.  but
I don't think I have a phobia of water.  and death I think is something
anyone who writes would certainly deal with death at some point.  I
rather like Woody Allen's quote about he doesn't mind dying, but he
doesn't want to be there when it happens.  [LAUGHING]  (1985,
Conversation Series 1)

        WITH "THE NINTH WAVE," IT'S ALL ABOUT A MAN DROWNING.  WAS THAT,
PERHAPS, INSPIRED BY THE AIRCRAFT THAT CRASHED INTO THE, UH, INTO A
FROZEN RIVER IN THE STATES.  THERE WAS QUITE A BIG NEWS STORY ABOUT THAT
A FEW YEARS AGO.  DO YOU REMEMBER THAT?  THERE WAS THE CASE OF THE MAN--
THEY CALLED HIM "THE MAN IN THE WATER"--WHO KEPT ON GOING BACK AND
DRAGGING PEOPLE OUT FROM UNDERNEATH THE ICE.

        No, I didn't hear about that.  It sounds really interesting and
horrific.

        I JUST THOUGHT THAT MIGHT...

        [INTERRUPTING]  A plane went under the ice?

        YEAH, NO, A PLANE ACTUALLY CRASHED AND HIT A BRIDGE OVER THE ROAD
AND ALL THE PEOPLE WERE SPILLED INTO THE WATER AND THERE WAS ONE
PARTICULAR MAN THAT THEY HAD TV FILM OF; HE JUST KEPT GOING BACKWARDS
AND FORWARDS AND DRAGGING PEOPLE OUT, AND EVENTUALLY HE DIDN'T COME OUT.
HE WAS LIKE, WHAT THEY CALLED "THE MAN IN THE WATER."  I JUST WONDERED IF
THAT WAS...

        [INTERRUPTING AGAIN]  Incredible.

         ...AT ALL INSPIRING?

        No.

        YOU HADN'T KNOWN THAT ALL BEFORE?  [LAUGHING, ALONG WITH KATE]
WELL, THERE GOES THAT!  (1985, Picture Disk)

    OBVIOUSLY ON ONE LEVEL THE NINTH WAVE IS ABOUT SOMEBODY NEARLY
DROWNING.  BUT I WAS STRUCK BY IMAGES WHICH SUGGESTED THAT THERE COULD
BE DRUGS INVOLVED.  THERE'S THE LINE IN AND DREAM OF SLEEP [SIC]: "I
CAN'T BE LEFT TO MY IMAGINATION/LET ME BE WEAK..." AND THEN THERE'S THE
MENTION OF POPPIES.

        Definitely there is the connection, with the poppies.  That
imagery  wasn't really meant to be drug-orientated, but when you think of
poppies you automatically get that sense of terrible drowsiness, and I
suppose you do connect it to opium.

      THEN IN THE ICE SONG [SIC; THE INTERVIEWER IS THINKING OF UNDER
ICE] THERE IS THE REFERENCE TO "MAKING [SIC] LINES, LITTLE LINES," WHICH
CAN OBVIOUSLY BE INTERPRETED IN THOSE TERMS.  [OBVIOUSLY?]  THERE'S ALSO
A CONNECTION IN SNOW AND PERVASIVE WHITENESS.

    Yes, absolutely.  But really it wasn't conscious when I was writing
it, and it was only a few weeks before we finished the album that people
said, "God, have you looked at this: "Cutting little lines," and I had
really not consciously considered that at all.  I mean, the whole thing
is about skaters cutting ice, and leaving tracks instead of footprints.
And it's cold and empty.  For me, the ultimate loneliness is not a
complete wasteland, but for it to be completely frozen.  It was that
imagery more than a drug-based one.  But you are right...

        SOMEONE EXPERIENCING A HABIT COULD METAPHORICALLY BE SAID TO BE
DROWNING.  I DEFINITELY THINK OF THE SECOND SIDE AS A DESCRIPTION OF WHAT
IT MIGHT BE LIKE TO GET OVER A HEROIN HABIT.

        I think it's parallel to so many things, really--It's definitely
going through an experience and coming out the other side and it's
definitely not a pleasant experience.  I definitely find it very
frightening, the whole concept of being in something so huge and it's
night and you're alone [SMALL LAUGH].

     I can't really pinpoint it--perhaps from war films and people coming
off boats, planes, into the water, and they're there all night, having
already been through such terrible experiences.  And there they are,
dumped in the middle of nothing.  Ooh, so many things that human beings
went through in wartime--It's just incredible what people could do, even
do to their own people.  Terrible.

        I like the whole idea, too, of being in water, and sensory
deprivation--losing a complete sense of where you are, and then off goes
your head: your body is left there, but your mind is travelling.  I think
everyone gets these glimpses, moments, somewhere in your life when you
experience something and you suddenly realise how you're taking it all
for granted.  (1985, Hot Press)

                                                        Peter Manchester
 "Watching storms form over America..."    pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                72020.366@compuserve.com