Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Early Kate Bush video issues

From: IED0DXM@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 94 23:37:32 EDT
Subject: Early Kate Bush video issues
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: "IED0DXM" <IED0DXM@aol.com>

 > Chris already has (from me with the much
 > appreciated help of Tim Cook
 > Couriers) a recording of KaTe's Top Of The Pops
 > debut performance of WH,
 > so that's available for inclusion too.

 > -- Geoff Parks

 IED has been in a state of confusion about Kate's
 "debut" performance of WH  ever since he first
 read about it in Peter FitzGerald-Morris's chronology
 in Kate Bush Complete.  If IED recalls correctly,
 Peter described Kate's debut-performance costume
 as consisting of a RED top, black slacks and "stiletto
 heels". The performance (or at least the orchestral
 accompaniment) was less than stellar, and Kate
 was later quoted as saying of the experience: "It was
 "like watching myself die."

 Since then IED has come across "Kate's debut on TotP"
 on at least four different fans' video collections, and
 each time the clip in question did not show Kate in
 that costume.  In at least two of those copies, the
 clip turned out to be the same performance as one which
 IED had formerly understood to be the "Scene '78"
 appearance (German TV).  Can Peter F-M or anyone
 else please help IED to understand this
 mystery?  Could Chris, Geoff or Tim
 at least describe this "debut" clip in detail?

 There is also the "second" (or even later) TotP clip,
 in which Kate is dressed in a white dressing gown.
 An excerpt of it was shown during the Ask Aspel
 appearance, but IED has yet to see the original,
 complete version of that clip, either.  Anyone have
 this in its entirety?

 IED agrees with Lori Karn, who rightly praises
 Kate's "Rolling the Ball" performance, which in
 IED's opinion is nothing to be ashamed of at all.
 It shows a nineteen-year-old Kate Bush performing
 brilliantly in an unfamiliar environment, after
 only minimal rehearsal, with wonderfully
 entertaining results.  She dances extremely well,
 and generally proves herself as a consummate
 professional who makes the best of whatever
 circumstances present her with.

 Apropos of these early Kate Bush video
 performances:  In IED's opinion, a second
 Lovehounds Collection would ideally
 contain ALL of Kate's earliest television
 appearances, in chronological order.  This would
 mean we'd need considerable help from collectors
 in the UK, who might have the clips that IED has
 never ever seen anywhere, including the Vor de Vuist
 Weg clip, the Late Show (not the U.S. show) clip,
 the Tonight (again not the U.S. show) clip,
 the Saturday Night at the Mill clip (not to be
 confused with the Pebble Mill at One, Saturday
 Superstore, or Friday Night and Saturday Morning
 clips!) , and others.

 Yes, it's seems like a pipe dream, but when you
 consider how well the first Lovehounds Collection
 turned out, and how much high-quality video source
 tapes it turned up, it doesn't seem too terribly
 unrealistic to think of somehow retrieving the
 least accessible Kate tapes of all.

 -- Andrew Marvick (IED)
     SRRRI