Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Catchup Stuff

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 00:41:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Catchup Stuff
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Chris Williams (chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu) pushed the GO button:

>   I, for one, am anxious to hear Peter's comments on Henry Burdett
> Messenger's theory about the genesis of  The Ninth Wave .

       Well it's an absolutely brilliant theory, masterfully presented and
full of inherent plausibility--especially in the lyrics for "Hello Earth."

       (In this it differs from my own private theory, which was shaped by
the fact that HoL released late afternoon on Thursday, September 26, 1985,
the day before Hurricane Gloria came *right here*--I mean directly bang-on
across this part of Suffolk County, Long Island--which was so torn up that we
didn't have electricity for eight days afterward.  However, I got my copy in
time to tape it that night, while battening down the hatches, and listened to
it endlessly on my little cassette headphones the following week.  To this
day I still get the willies when I hear the line "watching storms start to
form over America"--as also on the new line in "Song of Solomon," "I'll come
in a hurricane for ya."  However, this is in the domain of Meaningful
Coincidences and other Strange Phenomena.  Now that Chris has admitted that
he's had some of these too, I will gladly stipulate that there is *no*
explanatory plausibility in these kinds of thing!)

       On the other hand, nothing in the interviews that Ron Hill compiled
from that period corroborates the Fastnet Theory.  It is not specifically
*dis-corroborated* however, as was for example the suggestion that maybe Kate
had heard about the `man in the water' in the Washington DC airline crash.
Where does that leave us?

       Well, pending further concrete information concerning Kate's level of
attention to the morning papers or the evening news, I would make the
following generalization.  Even in what Kate says about old war movies and
newsreels, etc., she is clear that there is no specific influence, just a
general `feel' for the circumstance of being suddenly thrown into deep water.
She is explicit enough about not claiming any particular influence that it
certainly leaves room for some role in her imagination to have been played by
the Fastnet disaster, if she happened to have seen or read a compelling
account of it.

       Moreover, Kate has long made clear that even when some particular film
or song *has* influenced her, it was always reshaped and reconfigured by her
own imagination--and in that area she has been notably willing to admit to
*unconscious* associations playing a role in her work.  For example, in the
material I posted from "Cloudbusting" about The Ninth Wave, she was asked
about the association between drowning in water and drugs--the phrase about
"little lines," to which she answered:

           Yes, absolutely.  But really it wasn't conscious when I was
       writing it, and it was only a few weeks before we finished the album
       that people said, "God, have you looked at this: `Cutting little
       lines,' and I had really not consciously considered that at all.

       I ran into this firsthand in 1986.  I had written to her presenting
some observations that struck me about the video for "Cloudbusting."  Anyone
who's read  A Book of Dreams  will remember how in the weeks before his
father's FDA bust, Peter Reich would be walking home across a field and think
to himself, "I just know that something bad is going to happen!"  I suggested
that the reversal of standpoint in Kate's lyrics might have also been carried
out in the video itself in the key scene.  In the book, Peter Reich's
agonized discovery that the feds in their big black car were not going to
stop led to an agonizing run *up* the hill to warn his father, whereas in the
video the kid's realization they are coming for his father is dramatized as a
tumble *down* the hill.  And in the same reversal, the departing father's
indication that the kid should run *up* the hill <nb RUTH> leads to success
and elation.  Anyway, be all that as it may, Kate wrote back, and in this
connection said:

       I really enjoyed your observations on the "Cloudbusting" video--many
       of which I was unaware of, consciously.

The implication is that she accepts that she *was* (or may have been) aware
of them *unconsciously*.

       Pressed to an extreme, this could sound like the imperialistic
principle of claiming as one's own creation everything the audience discovers
in the work.  I am absolutely certain that this is the opposite of what she
means to imply.  Whereas Bob Dylan, Pete Townshend, and John Lennon have
often spoken dismissively about meanings fans find in their work, Kate Bush
is inherently more generous about the *shared* dimension of the unconscious,
where images and archetypes <ok let's get Jungian for a moment> have a more-
than-personal/individual vitality.  I think she is quite ready to discover
things about her own songs in some of the things her audience find in them,
and to share her delight in that.

       Whether she *did* actually read or hear about the Fastnet disaster is
a simple matter of fact.  But until we learn otherwise, I for one am happy to
subscribe to the Fastnet Theory, with this proviso:  it is not *the* genesis
of The Ninth Wave, but it could have (and certainly should have!) colored her
`feel' for the situation.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Get out of the water!"                 pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com