Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Early Kate Bush video issues

From: gtp10@cus.cam.ac.uk (Dr G.T. Parks)
Date: 17 Aug 1994 10:49:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Early Kate Bush video issues
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
content-length: 1915
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

IED0DXM@aol.com writes:

>> Chris already has (from me with the much
>> appreciated help of Tim Cook
>> Couriers) a recording of KaTe's Top Of The Pops
>> debut performance of WH,
>> so that's available for inclusion too.
>>
>> -- Geoff Parks
>
> IED has been in a state of confusion about Kate's
> "debut" performance of WH  ever since he first
> read about it in Peter FitzGerald-Morris's chronology
> in Kate Bush Complete.  If IED recalls correctly,
> Peter described Kate's debut-performance costume
> as consisting of a RED top, black slacks and "stiletto
> heels". The performance (or at least the orchestral
> accompaniment) was less than stellar, and Kate
> was later quoted as saying of the experience: "It was
> "like watching myself die."
>
> Since then IED has come across "Kate's debut on TotP"
> on at least four different fans' video collections, and
> each time the clip in question did not show Kate in
> that costume.  In at least two of those copies, the
> clip turned out to be the same performance as one which
> IED had formerly understood to be the "Scene '78"
> appearance (German TV).  Can Peter F-M or anyone
> else please help IED to understand this
> mystery?  Could Chris, Geoff or Tim
> at least describe this "debut" clip in detail?
>
> There is also the "second" (or even later) TotP clip,
> in which Kate is dressed in a white dressing gown.
> An excerpt of it was shown during the Ask Aspel
> appearance, but IED has yet to see the original,
> complete version of that clip, either.  Anyone have
> this in its entirety?

Well, she's not wearing either of the costumes IED describes.
She's dressed in a full length, dark gown. She's on a platform
surrounded by an (awestruck) audience and does a live vocal over
a backing track. The reason I believe it to be her TotP debut
is due to what the presenter, Kid Jensen, says in his intro-
duction.

Geoff Parks