Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Spanish Kate Bush

From: young@dev3.bear.com (Eric Youngblood)
Date: 1 Jun 94 13:30:09 GMT
Subject: Re: The Spanish Kate Bush
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bear.com

Roy Sette (kl7@rahul.net) wrote:
: You've all heard comparisons of this singer or that with Kate.  They
: very aren't too accurate in most cases.  Like Tori vs. Kate, I mean
: *really*.  The differences are way more numerous than the similarities.

: But now I think I've found Kate's double.  Her name is Ana Torroja and
: she possesses the exact same thrilling soprano of Kate's early work.  Ana
: is the lead singer of a Spanish group named "Mecano."  Their music
: is very well produced.  So if you're adventurous and don't mind Spanish
: lyrics, give them a listen.  You won't be disappointed.

It's possible that you've found that similarity, but it's certainly
an exception.  I would be cautious in recommending Mecano outright,
because the majority of their stuff is not at all similar to Kate.

I live in Spain, so I hear Mecano all the time on the radio, and
I'm quite surprised to hear this comparison!

On the other hand, I don't think Mecano are bad, simply a little
bit too mainstream soft pop to be placed in the same league as
Kate.

Eric Youngblood
young@bear.com