Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Del Interview/Some Hammersmith Questions

From: allen_watson@quickmail.apple.com (Allen Watson III)
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 22:47:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Del Interview/Some Hammersmith Questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@gallant.apple.com

In article <Pine.3.05.9405191535.A8383-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>,
fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) wrote:

> I was watching the Live at Hammersmith video last night (a great
> accompaniment to indoor rowing!) and a few questions that come to mind
> that I'm hoping some obsessives out there can answer :)

. . . (lines omitted) . . .

> Second, did Kate use any taped vocals in these shows (i.e. mouthing the
> words to a prerecorded vocal track)? She talks in The Sensual World video
> interview about how her mike headset was the first of its kind. True
> enough, but in some songs, with the motions of dancing, that mike wobbles
> quite dramatically and there is no "wobble" in the vocals. (Or were the
> vocals rerecorded later for the video?)
>
> I also wondered about this because there is some fairly energetic dancing
> in some of the songs and a live vocal mike would surely pick up some
> panting and deep breathing, not to mention "whooshing" through the air as
> the dancer moves. (Look at some of Madonna's "live" concert videos, for
> example - there is simply no way that someone could dance that hard and
> sing that clearly at the same time.)

I can't speak with authority about the entire program, but it's obvious
just from listening that KaTe is not lip synching on the finale, "Wuthering
Heights." She's happy, but she's pooped!  She's so tired, she keeps
forgetting to breathe, and her voice starts to wobble, let alone the mike.
;-)

KaTe does a lovely job when she does lip synch, but I think all the
Hammersmith songs with a visible microphone are "live."

KaTe does sing more clearly than most other singers.
That's one of the reasons we love her.

- Allen
|   "Get the bow going, let it scream to me!"    |