Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Del Interview/Some Hammersmith Questions

From: afcpeters@aol.com (AFC PeterS)
Date: 21 May 1994 04:02:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Del Interview/Some Hammersmith Questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

In article <Pine.3.05.9405191535.A8383-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca>,
fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:

> Thanks to Peter M. for posting that interview with Del. My question
> is, if he (Del) knows all this technical stuff, why have all of
> Kate's recent records sounded so flat and empty? I still think she
> needs an outside producer to help her.

I agree completely. Del knows a certain amount about recording, but
he's not really a great engineer. The bit about learning to compress
Kate's vocals from "Ardman" (aka Hardiman) is an example. Yes, KB's
vocals have always been heavily compressed, but *nothing* like the
sound Palmer introduced on TSW, where you can hear the bloody
compressor pumping! This guy needs to turn over the console to
someone qualified, and get back to playing bass - something he was
really good at.

Peter Stoller