Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: torch song

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 21 May 94 00:26 CDT
Subject: Re: torch song
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Everytime I listen to "You're the One" on TRS I envision this torchy chanteuse
>dressed to the teeth walking around a smokey cabaret.  She has had one too
>many drinks before taking the microphone.  Everytime she sings the line "your
>the only one I want" she points indiscriminately at the nearest man watching her
>performance and succeeds in pointing to several different men in the course
>of it, she might even sit on someone's lap.  Perhap's too when she sings the
>line "I know where I'm going she stumbles, walks out of her spotlight or
>towards a wall.  I was thinking if I ever had the guts to do drag I would
>camp up this tune.  Has anyone else felt the torchsong quality in the
>pull of the Bush?

   Sounds like a good one for Holly Cole to cover. A tiny plug; one of
the only ways that I've found to describe Holly is this - she does to
torch singing what kd lang did to country. Approach it with both
reverence and humor, play with the conventions of the form, and do such
an amazing job that people who might never listen in the genre will
take notice.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)