Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ...tis I that moan and groaneth

From: jorn@MCS.COM (Jorn Barger)
Date: 29 Apr 1994 07:59:52 -0500
Subject: Re: ...tis I that moan and groaneth
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vickie writes:
> Gaffa *isn't* a totalitarian newsgroup/mailing list,
> and my opinion is just that...an opinion. No more, and no less important
> than anyone else's.

Then, Vickie, can I hope you're withdrawing your "as if anyone cares"
comment from last December?  That you're ready to start standing up to
Chris when he tells lies in order to drive my *defenses of Kate's
metaphysics* off this group?

How about these completely false representations of the WarmRoom flap,
then, from Chris's reply to my charges (the one he refused to send me).
Will you speak up for the truth, here?  Quoting Chris:

>    Nobody but Jorn wanted it as it would have reduced the speed of
> the list for no reason. [I can quote your support, Vickie]
>   Jorn actually expected everyone to run under his banner. The few
> people who did subscribe did so to avoid missing *any* Kate talk,
> rather than any belief in Jorn's vision of the world. [ditto]
>    Jorn tried to hijack ecto. He wanted to take it over and spin it's
> primary focus (Happy Rhodes) off to a *different* list. The Happy Rhodes
> fans who had built this thing for themselves were understandably
> annoyed. Jorn thought, that rather than going through the difficult
> (impossible for him) process of actually *building* a community, he
> could just take over an existing community.

Vickie, did I try to take over ecto?

[Chris quoting me:]
> >I wrote, at some point, an open message to
> >Ecto asking these questions-- and received not a peep of a reply.
>   Ask ecto.

Vickie, was there any response?

>  Jorn answered reasonable questioning with screams of
> "FUCK YOU!!" within a single round of exchanges.

Vickie, can you press Chris to find this message?  It's nowhere in the
archives.

>    A single statement showing such an amazing lack of empathy as to show
> an almost sociopathic personality.

Vickie, will you confirm that you've made several attempts to maintain
(first) and re-establish (later) your friendship with this so-called
"sociopath"?  Will you confirm that Chris was already livid when he heard
about this single statement, and that he seized on it to justify that
unjustifiable fury, and that your own feelings about it were much more
ambiguous (given that you'd had every opportunity to bring it up, and
hadn't)?  Will you confirm that it might all be a misunderstanding?

> Jorn now spends a large amount of time on
> alt.config, proposing new groups like "alt.thoughtful - thoughtful
> posting - Moderated" (by Jorn.)

Vickie, will you encourage Chris to acknowledge this misstatement, given
that I proposed alt.best.thoughtful as an unmoderated group, which was in
fact the main criticism it received?  Will you ask him if he's aware of any
other groups I've proposed there, ever, besides alt.ascii-art and
alt.music.alternative.female (both now well-liked, unmoderated groups)?
Will you encourage him not to criticize things he knows nothing about?

> I am perfectly happy to leave fools to their
> foolishness as long as they stay out of my face. [...]
>    I have said before, and I will repeat, Kate believes many silly
> things.

Vickie, do you really think Chris has the right to decide that Kate's
metaphysics are foolish, and expel discussions of them from the group by
vicious dishonesty?  Is this how science is done?  Is this not
totalitarianism?

>  No, my anonymous friend posted a very well-written piece that cut
> Jorn to the quick with it's amazing accuracy. Many people posted that
> it summed up their feeling quite well, and that they didn't need to add
> anything more.
>   As a former close friend of Jorn's, I can attest that it was one of
> the most accurate descriptions of Jorn possible.
>   Anonymity was necessary as Jorn forgot to mention his infantile habit
> of refering to everyone who disagreed with him by childish dimunitives.
> Jeff became Jeffy, etc.

Vickie, didn't you use "Jeffy" to refer to jeffy@[*].ucmd.edu thru
most of the time we spent together?  Again, can you press Chris to
cite any of these postings that he claims supported that venomous
anonymous post?  (Do you still claim it was not written by Jeffrey C.
Burka?)

Do you consider the following (or any other) comments from that post
"well- written" and "accurate" as descriptions of me (looking not at
the heaps of abuse and distortion that have been layered on me in the
last year, but at our real relationship-- your own direct experience)?

> What you demand is deference and awe. [...]
> You are an intellectual bully, Jorn [...]
>    Jorn, who the hell do you think you are? Where, out of what turbulent
> pocket of polluted air, do you snatch the gall to say what you've said to
> these people, in the way you've said it? [...]
>      Ending on a positive note:  Thanks, Jorn, for having your breakdown
> in public.  This has been the most fun I've had since I witnessed a six=
> car pileup, with deaths, several years ago.  Bleed on.

To r.m.g: Chris's attack had many other accusations that I'll reply to
by email if anyone wants.  It really seems obvious to me, though,
which of us is a seriously disturbed egomaniac, trying to impose his
opinions on others...

jorn