Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

It is this...

From: jorn@chinet.com (Jorn Barger)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 23:32:28 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: It is this...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love Hounds)

Does anyone really question whether we want this community to be a
*kind* community?

Are there really two points of view on this question?

How did it happen that science seems to have tossed out kindness,
along with god?  *So what* if there's no ghost in the machine...
what does that have to do with the fundamental importance of kindness
and responsibility???

We struggle thru this life, and get beaten to shit by ***apes***...
and we collapse, we flounder, we bleed... and we search for *healing*.

And we meet someone, and in her eyes, in her voice, in her grace,
we find healing.

So we *crave her company*, we study her way of living.  And if that
includes ritual, we try the experiment of that ritual.  And perhaps
it makes something feel better... deeper, further healing.

Have we been seduced by a swindle?

Have *you* got something better to offer, to heal this agony?

Maybe our new friend suggests we 'speak' to someone we've lost, as if
they could still hear.  Is this a trap?  Is there no healing possible,
in speaking to someone who's gone... ghost or no ghost, god or no god?

Is there no healing in simply *looking* at the subtle feelings within
us, without pre-judging what they might reflect?

An artist creates a masterpiece, and those who view it are transported
beyond anything previous in their experience.

And then she abandons that creation, she *dies* and is reborn, and
creates something so much quieter, so much more inward, so much
*farther away* that her fans turn away in disappointment...