Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: You're the one - NOT?

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 09:57:16 PST
Subject: Re: You're the one - NOT?
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Marcel Rijs writes:

>Anyway, up to this Jon is absolutely right. He explains why _he_
>likes GOOMH so much and YTO not. And true, it is easier to achieve
>more impact with something new. This implies however, that something
>'old' can have an impact too.

yup, absolutely.

>But then Jon starts to be a little "high & mighty":

who, ME?

>> It may well be the case that you are a youngster and not jaded
>> from hearing 18 billion bluesy guitar 'n' organ tracks throughout
>> the course of your young life.  I, while hopefully not exactly
>> "old," have, however, heard enough of that particular genre to
>> know that I basically have no interest in it and will continue to
>> have little interest in it, regardless of the talent of the
>> artist who decides to tackle it.
>
>I may be young, but not a youngster. In my quarter of a century I
>may have heard more music than you will in your entire life!

i rather doubt that, but it's irrelevant...

>the "I've got some monet with me" part, I found it extremely funny
>because of its cliche. (I have still not figured out which song
>exactly it reminded me of. Must be a blues song... ;) ) But she
>adapts the style rather uniquely, I must say.

well, i don't think so.  it's a typical bluesy ballad.  where's the
innovation?  just the fact that kate's doing it doesn't make it
automatically innovative.

>In an age where 'blending' of music styles is rather trendy, Kate
>blends with the best of them.

where's the blending?  like i said, it sounds typical and
unimaginative.

>And this song is not "just a cliche", because if you want to hear
>cliche, you should turn to "talented" artists like Two Unlimited,
>Modern Talking or the Rolling Stones.

i don't understand this "argument"... it's not a cliche because kate
generally makes innovative music?  what kind of logic is that?

>I think too many people here want to see Kate making The Dreaming
>over and over again. Face it: _she won't_. And it's not a damn
>shame, it's good that she doesn't. 'cos _that_ would be cliche.

i have no problem with that.  i don't care if she doesn't remake The
Dreaming.  but why did she have to remake Traffic???

>> If Kate did a thrash metal album, would you like it?
>
>I certainly would! Let's team her up with Sepultura or
>Mortification and see what she comes up with! :-) :-)

er, well, pick a genre that you don't like then.  my point is that she
chose to work in a rather well-worn genre and it's only the fact that
the readers of the list have a tolerance for that certain style that
leads to the praise...

i think it would be interesting if kate did something in a style that
most people here can't tolerate... gangsta rap, perhaps.  all of a
sudden there'd a be a mad rush to venerate Dr Dre...

--
Jon Drukman                                         jdrukman%dlsun87@oracle.com
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.