Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re:You're the one - NOT?

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 Feb 94 15:14:40 EST
Subject: Re:You're the one - NOT?
To: <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Hi everyone,

In the continuing struggle for appreciation of TRS, I write:

Jon Drukman writes:

> You're The One depends on a number of pop song cliches for any
> emotional impact that it may claim to possess. Personally, I do
> not find the bluesy guitar 'n' hammond organ combo to be at all
> affective, and as such, the song doesn't work for me at all.  I
> don't think the lyrics do much to raise it above the level of
> "standard bluesy track" either.
> On the other hand, Get Out Of My House creates an entirely new
> language and speaks with a voice never before (or since) heard in
> the world of popular music. It affects me greatly.
> Now, this brings up the tired old "does it have to be new or does
> it have to be good" debate. I submit that it is easier for
> something new to have a profound impact, simply because we as
> listeners are not accustomed to it.
> Shock is good for the system.

... Thought you'd say that! ;-)
Anyway, up to this Jon is absolutely right. He explains why _he_
likes GOOMH so much and YTO not. And true, it is easier to achieve
more impact with something new. This implies however, that
something 'old' can have an impact too.
But then Jon starts to be a little "high & mighty":

> It may well be the case that you are a youngster and not jaded
> from hearing 18 billion bluesy guitar 'n' organ tracks throughout
> the course of your young life.  I, while hopefully not exactly
> "old," have, however, heard enough of that particular genre to
> know that I basically have no interest in it and will continue to
> have little interest in it, regardless of the talent of the
> artist who decides to tackle it.

I may be young, but not a youngster. In my quarter of a century I
may have heard more music than you will in your entire life! So
don't throw that on me, please. (This calls for a very special
blend of psychology and extreme violence!) The first time I heard
the "I've got some monet with me" part, I found it extremely funny
because of its cliche. (I have still not figured out which song
exactly it reminded me of. Must be a blues song... ;) ) But she
adapts the style rather uniquely, I must say. In an age where
'blending' of music styles is rather trendy, Kate blends with the
best of them. And this song is not "just a cliche", because if you
want to hear cliche, you should turn to "talented" artists like Two
Unlimited, Modern Talking or the Rolling Stones.
I think too many people here want to see Kate making The Dreaming
over and over again. Face it: _she won't_. And it's not a damn
shame, it's good that she doesn't. 'cos _that_ would be cliche.

On a lighter note:

> If Kate did a thrash metal album, would you like it?

I certainly would! Let's team her up with Sepultura or
Mortification and see what she comes up with! :-) :-)
Marcel F G Rijs                                  CIS: 100276,2176
Den Haag                                   Internet: mfgr@sara.nl
Netherlands                              a71599mr@hasara11.bitnet
Looking for US, Japan and Aussie KIM WILDE fans!  Please contact!