Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re:You're the one - NOT?

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 16:36:02 GMT
Subject: Re: Re:You're the one - NOT?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <940217201439_100276.2176_BHB110-2@CompuServe.COM>
100276.2176@CompuServe.COM (Marcel Rijs) writes:

>   I think too many people here want to see Kate making The Dreaming
>   over and over again. Face it: _she won't_. And it's not a damn
>   shame, it's good that she doesn't. 'cos _that_ would be cliche.

We don't think this at all.  We think she should alternate between
remakes of *The Dreaming* and remakes of *The Ninth Wave*!

Besides, I can buy a hundred quatrillion albums composed and recorded
in the genre of "You're The One".  I don't like the genre to begin
with, but if I did there is no lack of material for me to indulge in.
It seems to me that someone should play on their strengths--if Kate is
to perform in a genre, she should should stick with the genre she
invented, since (1) she does it flawlessly, and (2) there's not a
whole lot of material out there in this genre.  If she wants to go and
invent new genres, then that would be great too.  But "You're the One"
just sounds to me like an okay attempt at a song in a genre that has
been completely mined by greats who invented the genre and probably
did material in this genre better than Kate anyway.