Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Song of Solomon (was: Sex and the single symbol)

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 1994 01:29:05 -0700
Subject: The Song of Solomon (was: Sex and the single symbol)
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

|>oug:
> news@marlin.jcu.edu.au (USENET News System) writes:
>
> > > The words are being sung to a lover and to put it in plain
> > > terms are saying, "Stop being a geek and put your dick in me.  Fuck
> > > me, and fuck me good."  I would have thought these lines would be
> > > pretty straight forward.
>
> > Umm, as a female, I'd put a much wider interpretation on sexuality.  I
> > would say kissing, cuddling, fondling would all be part of poetry in
> > motion.  But this, as they say is, IMHO.
>
> Hey, I was just quoting what my girlfriend often says to me.  I don't
> think that either of us (or Kate) means to exclude a whole lot of
> snuggling and foreplay.  I just think that Kate means to specifically
> include the intercourse part.

I think that's true, but I think the song expresses a different
sentiment than you expressed.  IMO it's more like...

Don't want your mystique, your showing-off, your macho bullshit.  Give
me you, open up.  Do it just for me, because you want to do it *for*
me, and I can do it for you, just the same.

On a somewhat related note, the line
	"For I am sick of love"
that Kate quotes is translated as
	"For I am sick with love"
in my Bible, and in context clearly means love-sick and full of
passion.  I think Kate means the same by quoting it.  As one is sick
of the flu, love is the cause.  Of course she could have meant it as
being fed-up with love.  In US English it could be either.  You
decide.  Any UKers see it differently?

AlexGibbs arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.arizona.edu |\| | (~, |-| ~|~ |-| /-\ \/\/ |<
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
 foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." <Douglas Adams
"Without the pain there'd be no learning.              \ / Constellation of the
 Without the hurting we'd never change."               / \  Heart  <Kate Bush>
"Have you ever seen a picture of Jesus laughing? Mmm, do   \   Why Should I
 you think He had a beautiful smile?  A smile that healed."  \  Love You?