Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sex and the single symbol

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 18:42:00 GMT
Subject: Sex and the single symbol
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <199402030742.AA15960@marlin.jcu.edu.au>
news@marlin.jcu.edu.au (USENET News System) writes:

> > The words are being sung to a lover and to put it in plain
> > terms are saying, "Stop being a geek and put your dick in me.  Fuck
> > me, and fuck me good."  I would have thought these lines would be
> > pretty straight forward.

> Umm, as a female, I'd put a much wider interpretation on sexuality.  I
> would say kissing, cuddling, fondling would all be part of poetry in
> motion.  But this, as they say is, IMHO.

Hey, I was just quoting what my girlfriend often says to me.  I don't
think that either of us (or Kate) means to exclude a whole lot of
snuggling and foreplay.  I just think that Kate means to specifically
include the intercourse part.

> > By the way, Kate used the key as a strong symbol long before any overt
> > Prince influence.  On *The Dreaming*, every song has locks or keys as
> > a subtext.  The front and back covers of *The Dreaming* make a key the
> > most important thing.

> Every song?  I had better listen again, don't remember a key in the
> Dreaming or Pull Out the Pin.

Not all of the songs have locks or keys mentioned explicitly, though I
think all of the songs deal with locks and keys metaphorically.  In
*The Dreaming*, the Aborigines are being driven off their lands.  They
are being locked out of their homes, in effect.  Their ceremonies and
traditions are being destroyed by "Devils in a Bottle" (alcohol).  The
Aboriginal homeland and traditions are the keys to The Dreaming, the
spiritual world.

In *Pull Out The Pin*, again the homeland of the natives is being
destroyed.  Pulling the pin on the hand grenade (the key to the
weapon) and loving life are the keys to survival for the narrator.
The narrator is avoiding being captured and emprissoned in a prisoner
of war camp, and by fighting is avoiding being emprissoned in a
political system in which he or she does not believe.  The narrator
keeps a silver Buddha in his mouth when he attacks.  This is the key
to the afterlife.  If he dies with Buddha on his lips, he will go to
heaven.