Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate (duh) et al

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 93 15:05 CST
Subject: Re: Kate (duh) et al
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>> A complete version of the Hammersmith show will never be
>> released. The recording was plagued with technical problems, and
>> several of the songs are incomplete. Sorry.
>
>However, I have a bootleg audio cassette (actually 2 of them) that
>contain a whole show. It includes poetry (anyone have lyrics of
>that? - It's hard to hear it on the tape...) and indeed lots more
>than the 12 songs on the vid. Is this unique? Or are the 100's of

   The only "soundboard" recording was the Hammersmith show, and
the problems were mainly in the audio recording. As far as we know,
there were no problems with the hall sound system that would have
affected bootleg audience recordings (other than feedback from
Kate's headset mic.)

>> Now, several of the songs from the concert that were not in the
>> video *are* in the "Kate Bush On Tour" a (German? Dutch?)
>> documentary.
>German. The only Dutch special was the one in 'De Efteling', which
>is not strictly a "gothic park", and certainly not "near
>Amsterdam", as the "Visual documentary" book claims. The German
>special lasts about 30 minutes and does indeed feature some nice
>goodies.

   We have a good quality Dutch version, but it has Dutch subtitles,
and a better quality German version that has no subtitles, but it
has the translators voice *dubbed over Kate's*! Someday it would be
wonderful to combine the audio of the Dutch and the video of the
German. I've done this for 5 minute videos, but the prospect of trying
to match a 30 minute show...

>> Here on r.m.g, Chris Williams *seems* to have the respect and
>> support of Andy Marvick, Peter Fitzgerald-Morris, and Peter Byrne
>> Manchester, and if things were as they appear, this could suffice
>> as such a community base.
>
>I'm not sure I should take this "conspiracy-theory" all too
>seriously, but I think it's a valid point that there's a certain
>"in-crowd" on this list that can't be gotten into all too well. I'm
>not too prejudiced, as I am here so short, but I feel it, yes.

   How to answer this? As in any place, people do get to know one
another. As Vickie mentioned, we have known Andy and Peter D. F-M
for years (well before rec.music.gaffa) and there is no reason to
deny our friendship. But it is not an exclusionary thing.

   Andy, PDF-M, Peter Manchester, |>oug, Ed Suranyi have all been
around for quite some time and may be considered "in-crowd" or
"old-boy-network." But people like Ron Hill and especially Uli
have earned respect for their knowledge and efforts without any
special "in-crowd" blessing.

    I can be abrasive and don't feel that anyone gives my opinions
any special consideration due to my "hugability." But I do, if
I must say so myself, know an inordinate amount of Kate Trivia
and I (and others in the supposed "in-crowd") have been more than
willing to share this whenever needed. That is one of the main
reasons for gaffa.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)