Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-53 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate (duh) et al

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 16 Dec 93 16:35:09 EST
Subject: Re: Kate (duh) et al
To: <love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET>

Hello everyone!

Heve been lurking for some time, but felt it was time to throw in
my couple of dollars worth on a few interesting _and_ not-so-
interesting subjects.

Chris Williams writes:

> A complete version of the Hammersmith show will never be
> released. The recording was plagued with technical problems, and
> several of the songs are incomplete. Sorry.
However, I have a bootleg audio cassette (actually 2 of them) that
contain a whole show. It includes poetry (anyone have lyrics of
that? - It's hard to hear it on the tape...) and indeed lots more
than the 12 songs on the vid. Is this unique? Or are the 100's of
these "full" shows taped? (BTW has anyone ever heard this Ben
Liebrand remix of 'RUTH'?)

> Now, several of the songs from the concert that were not in the
> video *are* in the "Kate Bush On Tour" a (German? Dutch?)
> documentary.
German. The only Dutch special was the one in 'De Efteling', which
is not strictly a "gothic park", and certainly not "near
Amsterdam", as the "Visual documentary" book claims. The German
special lasts about 30 minutes and does indeed feature some nice
goodies.

I totally and thoroughly enjoyed the stories about the Tower
happening. Thanks Jason, |>oug, and all others! <Sigh> Why don't
artists _ever_ do instore appearances in Holland? You are lucky
people, in the US, right now! Be aware of that!

I have been trying to get The Garden e-book out with ftp-mail, but
I have horrendously failed. Anyone volunteering to send it off to
me? Thanks in advance - and sorry for using diskspace on this list.

Now, on to something less important, but equally interesting,
like most of us (I presume), I have not a clue what this fight
around Jorn is about. From what I understand, I don't think Jorn is
being very reasonable over all, _but_ I do feel statements like:

> jorn@MCS.COM (Jorn Barger) writes, as if anyone really cares:

(Vickie) are really out of line. Generally, I think one cannot say
such things. I am not Jorn, but I was offended by this phrase. My
God, what were to happen if _I_ one day write something that maybe
no-one approves with (as I'm sure I can ;) ), do I get smashed
verbally like that? _Come_ _on_, try to act a bit more civilised...

Then Jorn writes:
> An occasion for self-inventory
> I object to my words being used in the FAQ is that *I do not
> recommend this group to anyone*.  I more often warn people off
> this group.
I don't think this is necessary, Jorn. The group is its own best
warning. I am on it now for 1 1/2 months, but generally feel it is
not a pleasant one (Hope I will be proven wrong in the near
future). But I can conclude such a thing only by being here, not
from a FAQ. Your concern is that your words serve as an
advertisement for this group, but _they don't_. If someone claims
that, (s)he's as crazy as you are made out to be right now.

> Here on r.m.g, Chris Williams *seems* to have the respect and
> support of Andy Marvick, Peter Fitzgerald-Morris, and Peter Byrne
> Manchester, and if things were as they appear, this could suffice
> as such a community base.
I'm not sure I should take this "conspiracy-theory" all too
seriously, but I think it's a valid point that there's a certain
"in-crowd" on this list that can't be gotten into all too well. I'm
not too prejudiced, as I am here so short, but I feel it, yes.

<sgs5332@cs.rit.edu (Stephen G Siener)> writes:
> When someone posts something totally absurd, e.g., that Bjork
> thing, wouldn't it be better just to ignore it?  And when someone
> posts something really ignorant, don't you think that the person
> is just looking to stir things up?

I am sure of that. The only way I could get some reaction around
here was by posting these (there, I finally admit it) very odd,
slightly offensive postings about that Sugarcubes-woman. What _do_
you get then? Petty reactions like this one to the aforequoted
Jorn-message:

> From: rhogan@chaph.usc.edu (Ron Hogan)
>
> jorn@MCS.COM (Jorn Barger) writes:
>
> > If my Prodigy-parody didn't make this entirely clear, let me
> > state that the reason I object to my words being used in the
> > FAQ is that *I do not recommend this group to anyone*.  I more
> > often warn people off this group.
[...]
> > but I feel that those words now only serve to mislead
>
> Excuse me, but I have used the phrases "let me state", "I do
> not", and "I feel that" in several posts and I seriously
> disapprove of your using them without my permission.  Not to
> mention that I bought the word "indissoluble" in a auction at
> Sotheby's last year.

_Oh come on_! That is _so_ childish! But it gets done _so often_ on
thsi list! It's bad enough someone wants to subscribe and send that
message on the list, but then someone makes a remark about it! The
Bjork thing lasted _weeks_! This Jorn thing is also Kbytes and
Kbytes stacked upon eachother! It just goes on and on! And _still_
someone managed to post recently that people don't need a community
feeling "because they're here for the information"!!! The
information/noise ratio is about 20/80 average.

But then Lazlo (lazlo@unm.edu) writes:

> You don't have to put up with anything.  If you don't like
> someone's postings, stop reading them.
Oh sure. But I have to download it all first, being on the mailing
list and all. That means I spend loads of money on telephone
charges only to find "delete-it-all"-posts, unusable GIFs and
_some_ information. That's what I tried to say weeks ago, in a sort
of language I thought was more appropriate, but wasn't (so now I
don't know how to make myself clear at all anymore).

Like I said, I don't agree with Jorn, not at all, but he did make
a valid statement, IMO. I am _not_ trying to shut anyone up (it
can't be done - it's a free world in a tacky sorta way) but the
overload of harsh remarks really tears down the enjoyment of what
could be a great group/mailing list.

STILL, having said all this - it's an ill-fated attempt to change
attitudes of too much people (heck, I was always an idealist) and
I really try to fit, get and come in. Please, let me be one of the
group! *HUG* to all of you.

P.S. Hope that the intention of what I want to say is kept intact
by what has come onto the screen - English is _still_ not my first
language!

Marcel "There, maybe now I've made myself clear" Rijs
Den Haag  Netherlands
"If only I had wings / Then I could fly to you" - Kate
Bush, 'Home for Christmas'