Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-50 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Yule Gift Recommendations

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 20:34:46 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Yule Gift Recommendations
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

For those shoppers who like Kate, Happy, Clannad, etc. I'd like to
recommend Sheila Chandra.  Sheila started her career by blending Indian
and pop music and getting on Top of the Pops with a group called Monsoon
with a terrific song called "Ever So Lonely".  She has taken up writing
her own music over the years, and her latest album "Weaving my ancestor's
voices" is a masterpiece of the voice.

She ranges from traditional Indian vocal percussion to her own songs to
stunning interpretations of traditional Irish ballads (including Lament of
MacCrimmon which she did the most incredible, mysterious video for).
Sheila has one of the most unbelievably beautiful voices in the world --
which is even better in person.

There is still some subtle bit of the human voice that cannot be captured
on a recording . . . I first noticed it with live opera.  Tenors often
sound grating to me in recording, but lift the heart when in person.
Very strange.

Anyway, Sheila has my highest recommendation on any of her recordings,and
if you write to her at the address on the insert she is highly likely to
write back to you.

Karen Newcombe kln@crl.com  "It's wonderful, everywhere so white . . ."