Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Eat the Music" video

From: pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: 25 Oct 1993 21:32:57 -0500
Subject: Re: "Eat the Music" video
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <m0ora2b-000ikwC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:
>In article <2ad63o$rjh@bradley.bradley.edu> Pete Bradley writes:

No, that's Pete Hartman, *at* Bradley University. :-)

>>In <2aa842$adv@news.ysu.edu> am780@yfn.ysu.edu (William A. White) writes:
>>>     The video is a mood piece, those that find it boring or
>>>lacking in content don't grasp that Kate obviously wants the viewer to feel
>>>the music.
>>To quote my fiance:  "It puts you to sleep."
>>I really hope that that wasn't Kate's intent.
>>And to imply that we are simply uncultured barbarians incapable of
>>understanding her divine subtlety is....ridiculous at best.
>   The problem that you may have with the video is context. _Eat The
>Music_ isn't really a "music video," it's a segment of a film. A film
>with a story-line, acting, direction and other elements. Some claim
>that she looks bored, I think she looks like she is under a spell.

I agree.  Looking at someone under a spell can be boring though.  I
certainly have no complaint with her looks in particular, just that the
whole video is...repetetive, like the song.  In context of an album
(or a film) this may be acceptable.  As a single, it isn't really very
appealing to me.

>Given the story of _The Red Shoes_, the latter is a *bit* more likely.
>Very few films of any length can be understood by excising a three
>minute segment.

Is the movie she's doing for _The Red Shoes_?  (Pardon my ignorance, I
had thought it was something else).

After Big Stripey Lie, I am definitely looking forward to the album.
I wish...I wish our student radio station had gotten a promo.
--
Pete Hartman		       Bradley University	pwh@bradley.bradley.edu
             Work!  Work is my passion!  Or perhaps that's an alibi