Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why Not Curve

From: woj@remus.rutgers.edu (dressed to ingest)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 21:39:24 EDT
Subject: Re: Why Not Curve
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

sgs5332@cs.rit.edu (Stephen G Siener) sez:
>I agree that anyone who hasn't heard Curve is truly missing something.

i haven't heard the new album yet (it's in the to-listen-to pile of cds
over by the player where it's been for about a week now), but i did
manage to listen to the blackerthreetrackertwo single, which is,
apparently, remixes from the blackerthreetracker single. dunno how
indicative the remixes are of the single but i found that i liked them
much more than the _do"ppelga"nger_ material which was much too samey
for sustained listening. curve's first three eps, on the other hand,
are much more enjoyable - perhaps because they were served in smaller
doses.

>However, it's possible not all Kate fans will like it
>since it has a definite edge to it.

eh, there's a wide variety of tastes on gaffa/love-hounds - i know
there are some folk out there who'll dig curve (if they do not
already). their sound is a shaggier, dancier my bloody valentine
thing.  rather than overwhelm the ear with waves upon waves of guitars
and tremelo crashing on the shores of your eardrum, curve just boogies
your butt. nice female vocals by toni halliday (some of you might
recognize her voice from work she's done with robert plant).

>Has anyone ever heard of "The Golden Palominos?"

yup. downtown nyc "supergroup" of sorts lead by drummer anton fier.
they've gone from their weird roots (when the likes of john zorn
guested) to a more traditional rock thang with the likes of syd straw,
michael stipe, amanda kramer (information society) and, now on _this is
how it feels_, lori carson vocalizing.

>Their new album, "This Is How It Feels," has the most innovative sound I
>have heard in a long time.  In fact, college radio stations around here
>won't play it because it's too "experimental."

"they'll be no joy in mudville..."

_O_ woj@remus.rutgers.edu            /\ in the pale light of the moon