Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Eat the Music" video

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 00:17 CDT
Subject: Re: "Eat the Music" video
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <2ai28p$spd@bradley.bradley.edu> Pete University writes:
>In <m0ora2b-000ikwC@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu> chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams) writes:
>>In article <2ad63o$rjh@bradley.bradley.edu> Pete Bradley writes:
>
>No, that's Pete Hartman, *at* Bradley University. :-)

    *Be* the university. (Sorry.)

>>>In <2aa842$adv@news.ysu.edu> am780@yfn.ysu.edu (William A. White) writes:
>>   The problem that you may have with the video is context. _Eat The
>>Music_ isn't really a "music video," it's a segment of a film. A film
>>with a story-line, acting, direction and other elements. Some claim
>>that she looks bored, I think she looks like she is under a spell.
>
>I agree.  Looking at someone under a spell can be boring though.  I
>certainly have no complaint with her looks in particular, just that the
>whole video is...repetetive, like the song.  In context of an album
>(or a film) this may be acceptable.  As a single, it isn't really very
>appealing to me.

   One man's repetetive is another man's trance-like.

>>Given the story of _The Red Shoes_, the latter is a *bit* more likely.
>>Very few films of any length can be understood by excising a three
>>minute segment.
>
>Is the movie she's doing for _The Red Shoes_?  (Pardon my ignorance, I
>had thought it was something else).

   The film is called _The Line, The Cross, The Curve_ and it is based
on the film and story _The Red Shoes_. We do not know which version of
the story she is basing it on, although it would appear that it is
more "inspired by" rather than "based on."

    And we'd better crush this one *right at the start* - Kate is
*not* going to do a guest shot on Showtime's _The Red Shoe Diaries_.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)