Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Eat the Music" video

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 00:05 CDT
Subject: Re: "Eat the Music" video
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <DSR.93Oct25202238@lns596.lns.cornell.edu> you write:

>In article <01H4EE3AFB429OFCZ0@ccmail.sunysb.edu>,
>PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu (Peter Byrne Manchester) writes:
>Peter> One sign that it is shot on film rather than video is the
>Peter> somewhat uncertain translation for video display of the
>Peter> lusciousness of the colors [...]
>
>Hmm...one thing I noticed stepping through the video is that every
>sixth frame is an overlay of two frames--which looks to me like a
>5-into-6 PAL to NTSC conversion, not a 2-into-5 film to NTSC
>conversion.  Not that I know anything about the subject of film or
>video, but I'm curious what any experts might have to say on the
>subject...

   There has been a movement in the UK and other 25-fps areas to shift
from 24-fps to 25-fps for film production. Modern cameras and projectors
are quite capable of the slight shift in speed, and the benefits
outweigh the slight increase in amount of film used. The main benefit
is the total eliminiation of the need for *any* frame interpolation.
This is a very good thing; 24 to 25 produced more annoying artifacts
than 24 to 30. I can hardly wait to see this film in PAL.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)
                                 vickie@njin.rutgers.edu      (hers)