Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: BSL US and UK

From: sleuth@panix.com (Reuben Radding)
Date: 25 Oct 1993 22:50:59 -0400
Subject: Re: BSL US and UK
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <2a6lmt$663@skates.gsfc.nasa.gov> dbk@ltpsun.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dan Kozak) writes:

>In article <9310191956.AA11634@dlsun87.us.oracle.com> jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman) writes:
>> it's a fact of the industry that there will be tweaks between the time
>> the tape leaves kate's grubby palms and the time you put the CD in your
>> player and hit the button.

>> it's called mastering, and it's inevitable.

>Do we know for a fact that Kate _doesn't_ supervise the mastering
>herself?  Many artists do.

>In the case of digitally mixed  program, it's not _necessary_ that the
>mastering process involve making _any_ artistic or corrective changes
>at all--it's simply a format/media transfer. You can even do the
>mastering yourself with a CD recorder.  In any case, it is not a "fact
>of the industry," nor "inevitable" the way it was in the days of
>vinyl.

>Dan Kozak (dbk@ltpsun.gsfc.nasa.gov)

Actually, as many recent interviews and reviews I've read indicate,
despite the fact that your comments are essentially _true_, changes DO
often occur during the mastering proccess to this day EVEN when they
aren't nescessary.  Mastering engineers left unsupervised often think that
they're doing the artist or company a favor by altering the information
slightly.  Rudy VanGelder now refuses any recording project for his studio
unless he is allowed to also do the mastering there too.  This is to
protect the integrity of the sound he initially recorded.

It may not be "inevitable" but it is a "fact" of the industry.  It
SHOULDN'T be (as Dan points out), but things happen.

-Reuben

--
| Reuben Radding....sleuth@panix.com |