Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Eat the Music" video

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 04:01:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: "Eat the Music" video
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

       Those who taped, or had friends who taped the premier of the video for
"Eat the Music" on 120 Minutes last Sunday, have now had time to look at it a
little.  Supposing those who don't have access to it are curious, I thought I
might edit together some of my efforts to describe it this week for Andy
Marvick, who wasn't able to catch the broadcast and was not just curious but
"expiring from the pain" of missing it.

       It is totally glorious, of course <message from IED>, and let me start
with the color.  One sign that it is shot on film rather than video is the
somewhat uncertain translation for video display of the lusciousness of the
colors, which have been perfected to make the natural ripeness of the fruit
come through.  Kate is wearing a long fitted fruit-print dress, some sort of
flowing fabric, perhaps silk.  The skirt is ample, draped to the ankles, the
top fitted, the neckline deep enough that a little decolletage is flashed
when she wheels herself from the waist, extending the gesture with her head
so that her hair is whipped around in circles.  On her left shoulder is a big
green fabric bow; the dress is mostly oranges and reds and greens on a calm,
rich, light golden buff.

       The video begins as suddenly and in-the-midst-of-things as the track,
initially (the first 10 seconds) with Kate squatting in the midst of the
fruit and swinging her head and hair about in the visual theme with which the
video will end.  But the actual start has Kate dressed as described, standing
in the foreground of a small crowd who are dancing before a huge cornucopia
of tropical fruits, spilling out of baskets into a mass that fills the bottom
half of the screen.  She is swinging and swaying to the music, and we see her
mostly in head-and-torso shots, with only a couple of brief pairs of full
body takes.  She is featured, but not to the exclusion of a whole little
crowd of fellow party-goers who are all in the moment with her:  blacks of a
variety of shades and body types that to me spells Caribbean rather than
South American.  Someone here on lh said she looks gloomy; totally false.
She is smiling all along, except that most of the time it is the interior
smile of someone who has attained true sensuous abandon.  This is the most
erotic Kate I have seen since "Hammer Horror" in performance, or "James and
the Cold Gun," except now she has brought it a hell of a lot closer to
herself.  She is not erotic as a sex object (as indeed she has never been),
but as an sensuous subject, with whom anybody human can identify.

       Early on (1:15) our eye is drawn to one particular black fellow, a
couple of rows behind her in the crowd, who seems to be in as much of a
transport as she is.  A symmetry in the construction of the video frames his
initial appearance as a soloist:  the two pairs of full-length shots of Kate
lie on either side of his introduction.  But in the early going, the main
thing thrown before us is the cut to some feet, in red ballet shoes and semi-
opaque tights riddled with runs, shot from just at the edge of a long skirt
much like Kate is wearing, that are tredding on the fruit and plainly making
sloppy landings and a general mess.  I couldn't tell whether the print on the
skirt marked this dancer as the same Kate featured in the video, but it
doesn't matter, because at no point in the video overall is Kate standing or
dancing in the midst of the fruit.  She is just behind it while she is
swaying erect, and she is only in the midst of it when she is kneeling in the
last half of the video.  So this image of red-shod dancer's feet comes from
outside the video.  It doesn't seem to have a narrative connection to
anything else however, only a thematic one (like the lighted candles in MoP
and the RM video).

       Anyway, insofar as anything 'happens' in the video, it is a powerful
evocation of Dionysian frenzy.  After the preview of the head swinging, and
the first theme of Kate swaying to the music and the introduction of the rest
of the crowd, the first big shift (2:25) has Kate kneeling in the midst of
the fruit, her dress flowing into it in both color and liquidity to such a
degree that she almost looks like a special effect, swaying from the hips
with arms extended in gestures that harken back to "Moving," and with two red
stripes painted onto each cheek.  Now the black man we noticed earlier comes
to stand directly behind her, and he swings his right arm in a great circle
above her head, 'stirring' her into the circling motion that continues to the
end of the video.  It is a very athletic move on her part, and at its best
moments (that are not consistently achieved throughout--there is some editing
out of lack of synchronization) the effect of her fluency and the black man's
stirring lead is quite uncanny.  Just for the shoot itself, nevermind the
editing, Kate had to protract this move to an amazing degree.  She pivots
from her waist, in a kneeling position, settled on her heels thigh deep in
fruit, and rotates her torso through 360 degrees in a way that itself would
make you a cripple without a warmup.  But then she amplifies the swing with
her head, rolling it around from her chest and shoulders to whip the hair,
with an amplitude that would make anybody untrained into a paraplegic.

       Now the black dancer, who is clearly present as a soloist, not just a
member of the corps de ballet, enters into duet with Kate with respect to
technical abandon.  He starts jerking his head around its circle with a
violence that at first made me assume that some kind of video strobe
processing was involved, because what he was doing would surely turn one's
brain to jello.  But I think not; this is just his technical gift.  Kate just
keepings wheeling herself around with the music, but he, and the others in
the crowd, grow progressively more frantic and extreme.  At 3:30 Kate is
shown continuing her wheeling along with two women on either side of her, and
the black man is back in the crowd.  But at 4:05 he is behind her again, as
serious frenzy starts to break out.  In a shot that goes by fast, a guy with
a loose tropical yellow shirt on grabs it at its bosom spots and pulls it out
to mimic two huge breasts.  One by one, people start falling into the fruit
pile.  The other soloist goes down before Kate, and the video ends when she
keels over--but she is not the last of the revelers to lapse.  There are
still others in the frenzy as the fade arrives.

       The knock on this video that was heard this past week is that "it's
boring" and "there is no story."  Perhaps the most revealing complaint was
that that Kate looks "really down" in this video, flashes only one smile.  As
to looking 'down'; yes, indeed, in the standing-swaying passage, she
alternately looks out at us, then down.  But this is no sign that she is
downcast!  Au contraire, she is withdrawing into the interior of the
sensuality of her movements with the music, the liquidity of the long skirt.
When she looks up again it is in bold acknowledgement of how she is inviting
us to regard her, so that far from being gloomy her expression is the serious
gaze of a woman for her lover.  Finally, her "one smile" (unobservant; there
are two or three takes of an extended and developing expression) signals an
abandonment to the interior so intense that she can no longer come out of it
to meet our gaze.

        Everything about this video serves to help us move INTO it, to find
our way into what Andy Marvick deftly calls "the moment":  the moment that
wants to be eternal but falls in with the fruit.  This is why the extended
version of EtM is more perfect than the single itself.  It can only be
endured if you stop waiting for something and enter INTO it.

       For me, "The Big Sky" was a parallel experience.  I found the album
track boring.  The extended remix began to redirect my attention, and the
video finally had me giddy with joy.

       Have I told you that I 'like' this video?  I don't even know that for
myself yet.  I'm still working on simply seeing it as a Kate Bush work.  This
involves looking for the craft involved:  the stagecraft; the choreography;
the dancing and the mime (with Kate, the eyes especially); the visual
production (colors above all else); the opportunity for the second soloist
and the collaboration involved there; and finally, via the squooshing red
dance shoes, the connection to the still unmanifested album "The Red Shoes."

       Kate Bush remains decidedly impatient with efforts to trivialize and
patronize her work by personalizing her as a 'pop star'.  Everything I have
said to this point has tried to be description, not judgment or personal
opinion.  Let's try our best to discern what she is  doing  before we make up
our minds about whether we are happy about it.

                                                            Peter Manchester
"C'mon, we all sing!"                          pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                     72020.366@compuserv.com