Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

news from Toronto

From: aj796@Freenet.carleton.ca (Tippi Chai)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 03:34:09 GMT
Subject: news from Toronto
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@freenet.carleton.ca

As previously reported, CFNY FM in Toronto is holding a "The Red Shoes"
preview party on Oct. 26.  The bad news is that it's one of those "the
fifth caller who gets through our phone lines gets tickets" kind of deal.
They will be giving away "advance copies" of the album then too. This is
also the first time they are serving a sit down dinner at a preview party
(catered by The Olive Garden - gag me with a bread stick :-p) and the DJ
said something like "we decided to do it with class this time 'coz Kate
herself exudes class".  They really like KaTe.  In their old TV ad, there
were clips of about a dozen videos and the penultimate one was Kate from
the (official) "Wow" video going 'unbeLIEvable'.  In their new ad, there
are only 4 clips.  The first one is Midnight Oil, the second is RBG!
U2 and Lenny Kravitz make up the remainder.

Speaking about RBG, it has been reported here that the single was 14th on
the CFNY list (I missed it today; wonder what the new position is.)
However, at Sam the Record Man the single is bouncing around. For the last
3 weeks, it was #9, #12 and #6 respectively.  At Music World, your family-
record-store-in-a-mall, RBG never got very far above #30 (if it did at
all).  Note that all this is based on sales of the cassingle.

Uli expressed surprise that some of the Kanadian KT discs have no lyrics
sheet. That's also the same deal on the EMI-Manhattan re-issues in the US,
presumably to keep the costs of the discs down.

Personal note - will the person who emailed me about the Spotlight
(Phil Smith??) contact me again - I lost your address!

--
Tippi Chai, Toronto, ONT, Canada     aj796@freenet.carleton.ca