Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 7 Sep 1993 20:19:04 GMT
Subject: Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

		jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman):

>drewcifer asks:
>>Hmmm...I'll keep paying attention in case more hands go up (or thumbs go
>>down), but I may have to pick up the cassette of _Debut_ (not the CD).  It's
>>not that I expect the album to be a mediocre job (although I still have my
>>doubts, considering I've never gushed over the 'cubes, just enjoyed them),
>>but I'm not sure percussion and voice is really my cup of tea.
>
>>Or have I misread the descriptions, here?

>i don't understand this "minimal percussion & voice" description
>anyway... some of the songs are positively *lush*.  i really like "one
>day" with the swirling synths & baby cries...

You seem to have set up a straw man, kind sir.  I went through the past
posts and no one here has claimed "minimal percussion & voice".  It is
undeniable that the textures of _Debut_ are slanted towards voice nad
percussion, away from guitars and drumming or even the baby cries and
synths you so appear to enjoy.  Good for you...

It they weren't, the album would not be so controversial and unexpected.

				-- Marek