Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...

From: jdrukman%dlsun87@us.oracle.com (Jon Drukman)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 93 12:14:58 PDT
Subject: Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

drewcifer asks:
>Hmmm...I'll keep paying attention in case more hands go up (or thumbs go
>down), but I may have to pick up the cassette of _Debut_ (not the CD).  It's
>not that I expect the album to be a mediocre job (although I still have my
>doubts, considering I've never gushed over the 'cubes, just enjoyed them),
>but I'm not sure percussion and voice is really my cup of tea.

>Or have I misread the descriptions, here?

all the tracks have melodies, melodic instruments, etc.  there's
hardly anything that's just percussion & voice.  maybe the lead single
"human behavior" is close to that, with the sharp plucked sounds and
stuff, but it's not like muslimgauze with a female singer, if that's
what you're worried about.

i don't understand this "minimal percussion & voice" description
anyway... some of the songs are positively *lush*.  i really like "one
day" with the swirling synths & baby cries...

--
Jon Drukman                                         jdrukman%dlsun87@oracle.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.