Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...

From: marek@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Marek Lugowski)
Date: 6 Sep 1993 21:05:32 GMT
Subject: Re: Oh! The pain! -- actually, Bjork's _Debut_ pans out...
To: rec-music-gaffa@relay1.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

	as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tree of Schnopia) writes:

>Hmmm...I'll keep paying attention in case more hands go up (or thumbs go
>down), but I may have to pick up the cassette of _Debut_ (not the CD).  It's
>not that I expect the album to be a mediocre job (although I still have my
>doubts, considering I've never gushed over the 'cubes, just enjoyed them),
>but I'm not sure percussion and voice is really my cup of tea.
>
>Or have I misread the descriptions, here?

I spun the CD once again before answering.  Yes, percussion, including
tablas, and Bjork's voice are the key elements.  But bass, guitar, drums,
and keyboards, and the wonderful harp, all have presence.  This is not
several species of Ludwig Drums gathered together in a cave and grooving
with a Bjork.
				-- Marek

P.s.  The harp song is "Like Someone in Love", and the song I want you
to compare with Debbie Gibson's side 2 of _Anything is Possible_ is the
one that follows, "Big Time Sensuality".  Sorry for posting past my bedtime.