Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush vs. Tori Amos???

From: wagreiner@ucdavis.edu ()
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 19:03:52 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush vs. Tori Amos???
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@ucdavis.edu (News Administrator)

In article <1993Aug25.155028.28292@netnews.noc.drexel.edu> giamomj@duvm.ocs.drexel.edu (Mike G.) writes:

>Re: Kate Bush vs. Tori Amos???
>
>In article <NESSUS.93Aug24141733@twitch.media.mit.edu> Douglas Alan,
>nessus@media.mit.edu writes:
>>Actually, calling something "arty" is usually considered an insult.
>>Therefore if Kate's work is "artier" than Tori's, it would be a point
>>in favor of Tori.  Of course, Kate's work is artier.  It also happens
>>to be better, despite this.
>
>I find your above statment confusing and somewhat contradictory....please
>explain. And how is "arty" an insult?

Well, I didn't make the statement, so I certainly am not speaking for the
person who did, but I agree with his general point.  Usually when people
these days describe something as "arty" or "artsy" what they mean is that
is is self-consciously artistic or plain old pretentious.  Kate does, to me
at least, sound a bit self-conscious at time, but I rarely think of her as
pretentious.  Amos does sound a little looser to me.  I like both of them
though.

Wade