Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush vs. Tori Amos???

From: nessus@media.mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 19:17:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush vs. Tori Amos???
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <1993Aug24.155841.15852@netnews.noc.drexel.edu>
giamomj@duvm.ocs.drexel.edu (Mike G.) writes:

>   Gee - I don't get it....in my estimation (and being a Kate Bush fan for
>   more than 13 years) Kate and Tori are *nothing alike. The marketing of
>   Tori Amos has been, IMHO, like that of a "sex kitten", while Kate Bush's
>   PR has never overtly focused on her sexuality....

Revisionist history at work again....  Kate Bush was definitely
marketed as a sex kitten in her early career, and she's surely not
gone out of her way to dispel any images of herself as a sensual
kitten.

>   As far as their music goes, I only am familiar with on TA video....it was
>   OK - but I don't think she's a arty and therefore creative as KB - at
>   least not what I've seen.

Actually, calling something "arty" is usually considered an insult.
Therefore if Kate's work is "artier" than Tori's, it would be a point
in favor of Tori.  Of course, Kate's work is artier.  It also happens
to be better, despite this.