Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1993-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tape Tree: Humble Apologies...

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 93 02:50:30 EDT
Subject: Re: Tape Tree: Humble Apologies...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Gene Haldeman:
In rec.music.gaffa you write:

><sigh>  This is so silly.  It's amazing to me that people who have at
>least one very emotional, and very important thing in common (Kate Bush's
>music) are willing to spend so much of their time and energy at
>eachother's throats, and then sullenly retreat to a position of "not on
>speaking terms."

You should thank your lucky stars that most of it never made it to gaffa!

>  Look at the destruction of life in Eastern Europe, the
>starvation and firearms of Somalia, atrocities of equal import happening
>in so many other places, and ask yourself if this is not childish.  Maybe
>you should both re-listen to "The Dreaming" and wonder whether your
>arguments with your mortal enemies can even touch the cry of a poor
>vietnamese woman holding a grenade and wondering whether or not she should
>pull out the pin.

I know you mean well, really I do, but when personal concerns, which you
know nothing about, are such that they would cause people to be "not on
speaking terms" then it's hardly fair to say (in effect) "it's not so
bad, work it out" to people you don't know. Are our concerns null and void
because bad things are happening elsewhere in the world, and in songs?

(btw, Kate's taking the point of view of a man in POTP, a young soldier,
not an poor woman.)

>	I'd be willing to allow both Jorn and Chris to send me their ten
>biggest complaints against each other to my email address below.  I may
>regret this, but I think you're both being childish and stubborn, and it
>don't make sense.

No, it doesn't make sense, because you don't know the whole story. Since I
do, I can verify that, in this particular joust with Jorn, Chris is neither
childish nor stubborn. It involves very serious matters.

>  Neither of you are childish; you're just acting that
>way.  You both know better.  And you both know it ain't worth the stress.
>On the other hand, you can email me and tell me to mind my own fucking
>business.

Your concern is appreciated, but uh...(no, I won't say it)

Vickie